chapter-23

"Hey wait..." I called after him as he steps up the stairs. Apparently my calls don't even invoke a buzz in his ears.

Sighing I follow him up the stairs which seemed like a strenuous task this time. Coming down was easier than climbing up.

Fatigue enveloped me from all directions as I take final steps and all the fibers inside my body seemed to be tearing apart gradually.

I could hear the friction coming out of the depths of my throat with each breath. This was the first time I felt the hollow deep down in my empty stomach.

When did I have my last meal?

I found him sitting on the chair now which he dragged over to the window now. His back towards me. His fingers playing with something I couldn't see. His eyes trained on it though.

"Why don't you quit it all?" I asked cautiously. Feeling like I knew nothing about what I was talking about.

He didn't react.

His fingers kept playing. His eyes still on them.

"Cause there's no other way around." He blankly replied.

Atleast I was getting something out of him. I neared the bed where I had been laying down before, opposite him. My knees touched the softness of the mattress begging me to sit down to relieve them of the burden.

"There would be. Needed to be figured out I guess."

"You don't understand."

"Make me then."

He sighed and walked up to the window. Opening the wooden frame of it in which the cheap glass made some low shattering noise on the edges but gave in. Once open, he dusted his hands and dug them deeper into his pockets, scanning the exterior.

"For me to quit, a replacement would be needed which I don't have. Nobody's left in my circle to take my place. To get me out of this vicious cycle."

"But your grandpa-"

"He's dead." His empty voice communicated.

A breath left me involuntarily."Im sorry. I di-"

"No need." He cut me off, "It doesn't matter anymore."

I observed the stiffness of his stature. The way he carried himself. Calmness filled inside a stone.

I struggled for words to console him but it felt useless when he was blocking them out.

Instead I sat down on the bed. Finally stretching my legs in front of my on the floor as popping sounds vibrated around the knee area.

"I'm sorry about this. I really am," I side eyed him and looked down at my lap," but despite all this, I still can't stay here. "

He turned around sharply and I sucked in a breath.

"You're not safe there. They are after you too now," I could feel his piercing gaze burning at the side of my face," why do you think I never let anyone come near me. Never dated. Because of this!" His pointer finger emphasizing at the invisible situation.

I let my eyes find his," then why me?" I whispered out.

Only if I knew why I had been dragged into this mess.

He ran his fingers through his hair agitated as his nostrils flared. His eyes traced the floor while his hand slipped down to his neck, rubbing it.