Hide

Greta's POV:
Okay, I'll just follow this pavement until the end. It should lead me to town or close enough.

I hike the strap of the bag higher onto my shoulder and continue walking down the gravel hill. I feel tears prick at my eyes and will them away. My gaze remains downward as I put more distance between me and that house.

It was the right thing to do, Greta. You know that...
"I know... but why does it hurt so bad..." I whisper into the air as a lone tear escapes. Before it can travel far down my face, I catch it with my index finger and wipe it away on my jeans. I stop in my tracks and stare at the new wet stain on my upper thigh.

Should I go back? If it hurts me this much to walk away, should I go back to him? Yes... but everything he has done to others, to me... I can't erase the images from my mind. If you can't love all of someone... then don't love them at all...
I can't go back. I can't give Brahms what he wants without destroying myself in the process... it's goodbye then. I'll get to town, hitch a ride to the airport, head home, talk to someone, and erase him from my life and memories. I have to... right?

Thump thump thump
Startled out of my thoughts, I look down and will my heart to stop beating so loudly.
Thump thump thump
Wait...That's not my heart... it's footsteps

Brahms's POV:
Black spots cloud my vision. The air in my lungs escapes and blocks any more from entering.
Greta... why? WHY?!?

I blink my eyes repeatedly to clear away the darkness. Once my vision returns to me, I try to think clearly. I glance down at my breakfast, my appetite gone. The fruit has not started browning...
It's fresh... she can't be far

I jump up from my seat at the table and sprint up the stairs. I run into our bedroom and pull some clothes on. I shove my feet into some boots before running down the stairs and out the front door.

I'm coming Greta... oooh I'm coming for you
Thump thump thump

Greta's POV:

My heart starts pounding in my eardrums, matching the volume of the footsteps as they approach me. A twig snaps, crushed under what sounds like boots. The sound snaps me out of my daze and I race off into the tree line to my right.

I push myself.
Harder... faster Greta...
I hear the footsteps turn right and chase after me.
Come on legs go, go, GO! Please, I can't let him catch me... I'm so scared... no! I'm slowing down! Let the fear drive you not hold you back Greta! Come on!

With new found rigor, I charge forward and begin to make random turns as I run in a zigzag like motion.
A few minutes pass, I can no longer hear stomping footsteps behind me. I pause mid step and listen to the area around me, all I hear are bugs and the wind whistling in the trees.

Exhausted, I lean forward and heave for breath. My hands hold onto my knees keeping me up right as the adrenaline wears off and I'm left feeling weak. Once I catch my breath, I check out my surroundings , scanning them for a place to hide and rest.

A few yards away I see a fallen down tree and head towards it. When I reach it, I collapse against the side ignoring the way the bark tears open the skin on my arms. I rest my head against the tree and close my eyes as I will my body to release the tension that has built up.

After a couple of minutes my body sinks lower into a state of relaxation.
Snap
My eyes spring open and my body jolts up, tense as I listen to my surroundings.
Crunch, crunch, crunch
The footsteps approach the area near my hiding spot. I cover my mouth to silence my heavy breathing.

I hear the footsteps approach me and stop in front of the tree. I squeeze my eyes shut and prepare myself.
Okay... one... two... three!!
I jump up from my hiding spot and take off. I feel a hand reach out and grasp some of my hair. A sharp tug pulls me back for a split second before I yank myself forward and run. My right hand reaches up to nurse my tender scalp as I push myself to run faster.
Heavy footsteps follow after me.

"Greta!!"
"Fuck" I whisper under my breath.
If I'm caught now I'm done for...
My fear gives me the power to push my legs harder. But it's not enough. I hear his footsteps approaching, catching up with me. Then a figure collides with mine, sending us both to the ground with me on the bottom.

The oxygen is knocked out of my lungs. I gasp for air as tears form in my eyes and fall down my face. I feel rough hands jerk my body and force me to face him.
I don't see him though as black spots cloud my vision from the lack of oxygen. In my haze, I notice him lifting my arms above my head. It's easier to breath this way and I catch my breath quickly.

I hesitate to look up as I have an idea what expression awaits me. But Brahms has none of that as he forces my gaze up by my chin. My eyes connect with his angry ones and I freeze.
What to do?!? I need to escape...

I check my surroundings for anything to help me escape. Without thinking, I raise my knee up and hit Brahms in the groin. I push his body to the left and scramble up to my feet. My feet move on their own, but I only make it a step before my face is once again connected to the ground.

I groan softly to myself as my chin crashes with a rock. I flip over to face a furious Brahms. He slowly crawls up my body until we are face to face.

"Greta... you shouldn't have done that"
Regret and fear start to fill me, but I barely have time to process it. Brahms grabs my neck and slams my head against the ground beneath me. I see a smirk and then darkness.

Hey guys! Its been so long... Im actually nervous about this chapter... I hope you enjoyed it. If you did please vote, comment and continue reading! Thank you so much!