The Cat and the Snake

"We are so so screwed Potter!" I shout breathless- running as fast as my short stubby legs will take me. The boys were a bit ahead of me. We were very late for transfiguration after asking a Slytherin prefect for directions for a last resort and being sent the opposite direction- we saw Fred and George in a classroom with a very short man and they turned us in the correct direction.
We slide realizing the classroom is right there in front of us, causing me to fall right into the boys.
"Blimey Notte watch where you're going." Ron wheezed out and we looked into the classroom seeing that all the students seemed to be there. But I couldn't see McGonagall anywhere- just a lovely tabby cat sitting stiffly on the desk top. My eyes met Hermione's and she shook her head disappointed in the way I showed up to class. Sweating and huffing and late.
I walk into the classroom and sit next to Hermione but the boys take a second to catch their breath.
"Here, pretty kitty cat." I blow kisses at it- I have a great fondness for cats. It looked at me and I smiled getting excited.
I pull out the ribbon from my transfigurations textbook I was using as a book mark.
"Whew, amazing, can you imagine the look on old McGonagall's face if we were late?" I hear Ron huff behind me and I turn to give him a swift glare-she was very kind to me last night.
He didn't notice so I turn my attention back to trying to get the kitty cat to come sit at my table.
The cat jumps off the desk and for a second I thought I was successful. Until the sweet tabby kitty turned into McGonagall. Ron gapes and turns red.
I turn red too and bang my head quietly on the desk.
"That was bloody brilliant."
"Thank you for that assessment, Mr. Weasley. Maybe if I were to transfigure your sister Mr. Potter or yourself into a pocketwatch, maybe one of you would be on time."
"We got lost." Harry replied sheepishly.
"Then perhaps a map? I trust you don't need one to find your seats." They sit down in front of Hermione and I.
"Miss Weasley, I would appreciate you not- making kissy faces at me in the future." The class laughed except for Hermione who patted my hand sympathetically and I sank low into my seat my face as red as Rons hair.

Later we thankfully get to Potions class on time and find seats close together. I sat on Harrys right and Hermione was on my left. Ron sat on the other side of Harry, and was staring absentmindedly at the wall of pickled and preserved parts of small animals and herbs. I shivered it was freezing in the dungeons where Snape and all the other Slytherins like to creep around. Snape slammed the door shut behind him and stalked into the classroom to the front of the class.
"There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to enjoy the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few, who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death. " Snape said looking down at us from his beady black eyes and hooked nose. Draco was hanging onto his every word. Harry was scribbling down notes in his notebook.
"Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confidant enough to not...pay...attention." Snape glares at Harry who was finishing up his last few words- not realizing he had directed the last part at him.
I nudge him in the ribs and he looks at me and I glance and nod towards Snape.
"Mr. Potter. Our...new...celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Harry shrugs and I feel Hermione shift in her seet to throw her hand up.
"You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?" Snape ignores Hermione practically jumping out of her seat.
"I don't know, Sir."
"And what is the difference between Monkshood and Wolfbane?" Hermione had a sort of frantic look on her face wondering when Snape would finally call on her expertise.
"I don't know, Sir." Harry glowered at Snape, realising how his classes were going to focus on shaming him and his fellow Gryffindors.
"Pity. Clearly, fame isn't everything, is it, Mr. Potter?" Snape sneered at Harry-
"He never claimed it was, Professor Snape." I said in the coolest tone I could manage.
His attention snapped to me- his glare turned into bitter disgust for half a second before settling into a sneer.
"10 points from Gryffindor. For your cheek."