Wizard's Chess for You

"I don't like this. I don't like this at all." Hermione said from next to me and I grimmaced. This room was creepy- it was dimly lit and we could barely make out large statues. Broken statues and dust littered the tiles in front of us.
"Where are we? A graveyard." Harry asked.
"This is no graveyard." Ron takes an anxious breathe, "It's a chessboard." Ron steps onto the tiles- the board I guess and flames ignite around the room illuminating the statues. But they weren't statues at all- they were giant chess pieces!
"There's the door." Harry gestured across the room to a large ornate door. We started to walk across the board, we almost reached the white pawns when they all threw out their swords and crossed them. The blocked our path and I internally groaned suspecting where this was going.
"Now what do we do?" Hermione asked as we retreated to the black side. I saw there was 4 pieces missing, one actually a riderless horse that was meant to be the knight.
"It's obvious, isn't it? We've got to play our way across the room. All right. Harry, you take the Bishop's square. Hermione, you'll be the Queen's side castle. Notte, you're the Queen.As for me, I'll be a knight." We obediently took our places. Ron looked rather determined and climbed atop the horse and held on for dear life.
"What happens now?" Hermione asked from her square.
"Well, white moves first, and then...we play." A white pawn moves and Ron examines the first move.
"Ron, you don't suppose this is going to be like...real wizard's chess, do you?" Hermione asked nervously.
"Oh for Merlin's sake-" I say thinking about how gnarly Ron's playing style was- he would sacrifice the entire board if it meant he would take the King.
"You there! D-5!" Ron commanded a black pawn forward- and when it does the white pawn immediately destroys it. "Yes, Hermione, I think this is going to be exactly like wizard's chess!" Hermione and Ron go pale. I hear Harry on the other side of the board suck in a frightened breath.
Ron starts to play- refusing to use me or the other two and sacrificing all the pieces he had to to save us. With every piece sacrificed we winced in horror when the white side would brutally smash it. Harry and Ron study the board before making their next move- I knew that one of us would have to make a move.
"Wait a minute." Harry said and looked at Ron- Ron nodded.
"You understand right, Harry. Once I make my move, the Queen will take me...then you'll be free to check the King." Ron says- I could check the king but then I would be taken by a black bishop.
"No, Ron! No!" Harry shouted at my brother and my eyes started to feel hot with tears.
"Ron! You're such an idiot- we can find another way!"
"What is it?" Hermione asked me.
"He's going to sacrifice himself!" Harry answered for me.
"No, Ron, you can't! There must be another way!" Hermione says desperately.
"Do you want to stop Snape or not? Harry, it's you that has to go on. I know it. Not me, not Hermione, you. Knight...to H-3." Harry gives Ron a grim nod as he moves forward and I close my eyes unable to watch my brother sacrifice himself. The horse stops beneath him and we all take a deep breath.
"Check." I hear Ron say but keep my eyes shut.
I hear a piece move- most likely their Queen advance. My heart skips a beat.
SMASH! The Queen takes the Knight. I scream and open my eyes to see Ron falling to the ground.
"Ahhhh!" Ron screams before hitting the ground- he hits it hard and gets knocked out.
"RON!" I start to go to Ron."
"NO! Don't move! Dont forget, we're still playing." I step back and Harry takes a deep breath and walks the diaganal towards the King. "Checkmate." The King falls and we take off to Ron. I reach him first and check his breathing- I can't help but smile.
"Hes breathing- Hes just unconcious." Hermione and Harry sigh in relief.
"Take care of Ron. Then, go to the owlery. Send a message to Dumbledore. Ron's right...I have to go on." Harry tells me and Hermione. I grind my teeth- I didn't want to leave him apone to fight Snape or Voldemort or whoever was behind that door.
"You'll be okay, Harry. You're a great wizard, you really are." Hermione says with a smile.
"Not as good as you or Notte." Harry shakes his head.
"Me? Books and cleverness? There are more important things. Friendship, and bravery. And Harry, just be careful." We watch nervously as Harry walks towards the door. When he disappears behind it Hermione turns to me-
"Notte wait a few minutes- heal up Ron- then go after Harry. I'll go to the owlery." Hermiones eyes welled up with tears, "I just... what if its not Snape- if its?" She didn't finish but I nodded and pulled out my wand. I get an idea as she gets up to go.
"Hermione-" I stop her, "Dulcedos Cithardes" I point my wand at a nearby piece of Ron's horse and it transfigures into a small black harp.
"Take this- for Fluffy." She nods and picks it up in one hand. Her wand clenched in the other. She stands up with her face white with fear, pauses and collects herself before taking off running to the door.
"Bloody hell- what am I supposed to do." I rub my face and check on Ron. I use the healing charm and clean him up, he was still unconscious. Biting my lip I look towards the door- there was no screaming, fighting or any sound at all coming from behind it. I watched the door patiently not wanting to distract Harry if he was in trouble and a bit out of fear.
Warm light suddenly appeared from the bottom of the door it flickered and moved. Fire. I felt myself pale and clumsily got to my feet. My feet slipped on pieces of marble and dust as I ran to the door. Heat radiated from it. Touching the door lightly I realized the fire must be from farther behind the door- it was warm but not hot. I looked back at Ron and realized how long it might take for Hermione to get to the owlery- get a letter written and Dumbledore to get it, or for her to send a teacher to us for help. I was Harry's back up. I gulped and grabbed the handle of the door and pulled it open.