the day that hurts the most

a/n if you want you can listen to that song while reading this. I was listening to it while writing and it made me really emotional <3

———————

there's this one day in a year, in 365 days. This one day that has a special meaning. Or maybe this one day that has the most amazing memory. But maybe also the day that hurts the most.

The day that hurts the most, March 22nd.
A day Cole always begins and ends with crying. A day Cole can't focus on anything else than his dead wife, Lili Reinhart.

- 15 years ago -

„You should stop making such disgusting pics of me while I'm eating." Lili laughed while sitting on the couch with Cole.

„You're cute while eating." Cole smiled.

„I'm not. Look at this." Lili pointed at his phone screen still laughing.

„You're cute in whatever you're doing, love."

Lili giggled and kissed Cole for a few seconds. But suddenly she flinched and put her hands on her 9 months pregnant belly.

„Are you okay?" Cole asked worriedly as Lili groaned in pain.

„Y-yeah. I'm fine. It's probably only contradictions for practice. Nothing serious." Lili started screaming at the last part as the pain got worse.

„It does seem serious Lil.. you sure it's —"

„I'm fine, Cole." Lili said seriously while trying to stand up.

„Oh my god." she suddenly mumbled while looking at Cole in shook.

„What?" he asked.

„My water just broke." Lili started to shake.

„Oh my god! The baby is coming!" Cole exclaimed happily.

„Cole!" Lili snapped him out of his thoughts. „Get the bag and bring me to the hospital." She said while still groaning in pain.

- 4 hours later -

Lili was currently trying to sleep a little after getting painkillers. She was exhausted if that word even fits. Her hair was messy, her clothes full with sweat. She felt horrible.

„Lili are you okay?" Cole asked quietly while rubbing her arm.

„No I'm not." she replied annoyed. Cole sighed.

„I wish I could take that pain away from you."

„well. You can't." she replied dryly.

Cole kissed her shoulder and carassed her cheek softly. She was so incredibly exhausted and out of power.

- 5 hours later -

„Lili the head is almost out! Keep going!" the doctor called out and Lili was breathing heavily.

Cole was holding her hand and tried to be as close to her as possible.
„You can do it." He whispered into her ear.

And she started pushing again screaming in pain. But suddenly she stopped and laid back.

„The blood pressure is sinking!" the doctor suddenly shouted to another in panic.

„Oh my god! She's losing too much blood!" she panicked and tried to stop the bleeding.

Cole started shaking. He didn't understand what was going on, he continued to hold Lili's hand.... but when he turned back to Lili to face her.. he noticed that she went completely pale.