What comes now*

I sat in the front seat staring out at the woods surrounding the highway. There was a massive traffic jam of people trying to get to Atlanta.

"Amara can you come out with me please? I want you to meet Sophia." Carl said.

I opened my door and stepped out into the chilly night air.

"This is Sophia and her mom Carol." He said pointing to the people in front of us.

"Hi I'm Amara Carl's sister." I said shaking both of their hands.

We sat there for what seemed like forever. Carl and Sophia were playing checkers on the back of their vehicle.

Carl mentioned something about being hungry and Carol offered us an MRE that her husband Ed had packed.

As she walked around the car to grab them I saw Ed grab her arm and say something. When she came back she said he had forgot to pack them and offered Carl a pack of crackers from her purse. Carol seemed to be a nice lady but that husband of hers, well I was no fan.

I walked over to the car Lori sat on the hood looking agrivated and sad. I almost felt bad for her.

Shane was flipping through the radio stations.

"Are you getting anything?" I asked.

"No nothing...like absolutely nothing the emergancy broadcast stopped. Theres nothing about the refugee center."

He got out of the car. "I'm gona go up the road see what I can see."

"Can I go with you? Please." I asked.

"Yea come on." He said grabbing my hand.

I told Lori I was going up the road with Shane. After throwing a small fit I went anyway.

We walked up the highway and ran right in the middle of two guys fighting.

Shane pulled me closer to him. "You stay right beside me and don't let go of my hand okay?"

I shook my head yes. Clinging to his side.

We heard what sounded like guns being fired. Helicopters were flying over head. Bright flashes of light was coming from up ahead.

We moved off the highway and down into the woods. Where some other people had gathered,To get a better look at the city.

"Oh my god" I said squeezing Shane's hand tighter.

It looked like the city was under attack. There was gunfire,explosions and fires everywhere.

"Their dropping napalm in the streets." he said putting his hands behind his head.

"Shane?" I said. Scared tears coming to my eyes.

"It's okay baby come here." He said taking me into his arms.

I cried against his chest while he tried to comfort me.

"Shane?" I said looking up at him. "I'm sorry I hit you."

He put one hand on the side of my face. Causing my heart to race. He looked in my eyes and licked his lips.

"It's okay baby." He said. Still holding eye contact.

I started to feel my face go red and I looked down. He kissed the top of my head.

"Come on let's go back. We gotta find somewhere to go." He said taking my hand and heading back to the car.

Weeks later

"Anybody who reads please respond. Brodcasting on emergancy channel. Will be approaching Atlanta on highway 85."