Chapter 10

When the spiral of water left them, they found themselves standing on a stone platform on the edge of a large lake of water. Mari looked around curiously, not really knowing where they were. Jurgen turned and looked back up at the water spilling from the rocks above them into the large pool, while Ran seemed to be in thought.

"Where are we?" Mari asked.

"I'm not entirely sure, but I have some bad news. The fork in the river had disappeared, and this was the only path down. It's very likely that the path your siblings had taken was the one that was cut off from us." Ran explained.

"What? So we went the wrong way?" Mari asked.

"Unfortunately there was nothing I could do at the time. I was only able to traverse the water, I could not change it's direction. At the same time, it didn't seem like it was the water that changed. It felt more like the earth itself had shifted to accomodate the change. If I had to guess I'd say someone tried to separate us."

"That sounds like something Medea would do. We still don't know what her goal is." Jurgen offered with a shrug.

"How are we supposed to find them down here if this is such a maze!?" Mari whined.

"Are you not a Seer?" Ran questioned. "Could you not just try and call a vision forth?"

"Since I'm a dragon it doesn't work that way. If I get a vision, I'm going to pass out afterwards."

"Really? You only pass out?"

"Why do you seem disappointed?"

"Disappointed? Heaven's no. I'm grateful! I thought your very mind would have ripped itself apart! But your siblings seemed to think you were good at it so I assumed you had some way of holding your thoughts together- Don't tell me what it is if you have one! I still haven't proven to you I'm not working with Medea!"

"You think we think you're working with Medea?" Jurgen asked.

"You can't possibly completely trust me." Ran rolled her eyes. "If you did that would be stupid. You met me in a cave while trying to track down and stop an evil witch. There's probably a far greater chance that I'm a threat to you than anything in these caves."

"I hadn't thought of that..." Jurgen stratched his head.

"Don't worry big brother. We did." Mari smiled gently. "You did score some points with us by trying to help us find our siblings though."

"I could be lying about the missing tunnel." Ran offered, pointing above them. "Perhaps I'm trying to separate you from your siblings to take you out one by one!"

"You'd be an idiot then." Mari shrugged. "If you thought Akiya and Nokiya were going to just go down without a fight. If anything, they'd be the ones you want to keep an eye on."

Ran face palmed. "You're not supposed to tell me that! What if-"

"We'll worry about you being a traitor if it comes to it. For now, let's worry about finding our way to them. If I had to guess I'd say they'd be heading towards the center of this structure."

"The center of this structure is supposed to be a large shard of Obsidian." Ran explained. "The Dwarves were using it to make weapons."

"Obsidian? Like the tower?"

"Tower?"

"The Obsidian Spire in the center of the forest?"

"I'm not entirely sure what you mean. The center of this structure is centered in the forest yes. But the Obsidian shard at it's core should be buried underground. This used to be an active underground volcano." Ran explained.