Chapter 19

The next few hours of travel through the forest went relatively unneventful. They expected to be mauled by all manner of creatures, but instead their travel seemed almost effortless. The group assumed it was because Medea's forces had not progressed that far through the forest, though they wondered why. Why would moving through a forest impede their progress at all?

Their questions were answered however, when they arrived on the edge of the forest. Ariadne pointed out a few other Nymphs in the trees and brush all preparing for something, and when they looked ahead they could see what appeared to be a small battleground. It looked less like the effect of a constant war, and more like a small skermish had just ended.

"What happened here?" Akiya asked, looking around at the few bodies laying on the ground. There were maybe a handful of nymphs being carried away by others, but most of the bodies were definately Naga's and spiders. Ariadne went over to a Nymph standing in the middle overlooking some of the wounded before speaking to them. She returned a moment later and shook her head sadly.

"He says that the creatures the sorceress sends are getting more and more bold. They don't usually come in a large force, but it is very hard to predict their movements. This isn't the only path out of the forest, so they have to keep an eye on all of them." Ariadne explained. "Maybe if we push this way then some of the fight will be taken off us?"

"This isn't a small linear path." Nokiya noted. "It's a massive underground forest with different levels. We descended down the side of a mountain, I felt it. There could be hundreds of paths to and from the forest. There's no telling how many soliders Medea has sent on them."

"But us moving through this path will take the pressure off of them." Mari nodded, looking to Ariadne. "It won't be perfect, but it will have a minor effect at the very least."

"Are we sure this is the right way?" Jurgen asked, looking to Ran. "I know you used to know this place, but it can't possibly look the same as it did before."

Ran shook her head. "No, it looks completely different. However I'm going by direction. Leaving Ebonforge's city is a mostly straight path. As long as we follow the right wall we're fine."

"This isn't a maze Ran. The right wall of the cavern could be hundreds of miles to our right." Nokiya glared.

"There's also another river below us that I've been using for direction. It's more of a lake, but it's flowing away from the city. Likely a sewer system they built or perhaps a way of sending more water to the Forge itself." Ran shrugged. "It's not the best, but its definately pointing us in the right direction."

"Not only that, but as long as we keep running into Medea's soldiers we're probably on the right track." Akiya nodded. "Let's get moving. The more time we waste the worse off we're going to be."

They pushed forward, doing their best not to look at the bodies in the small clearing. They offered whatever small bits of help they could with Camelia and Ariadne healing a few wounds but otherwise they pressed on.

They did their best to stay alert, even getting spooked at a few woodland creatures that scurried in the brush. But otherwise it seemed rather quiet.

However, Mari began to get twitchy, and after a while she quickly side stepped around a tree and fired an arrow into the brush getting a loud snarl to echo from the woods. The group quickly grouped up back to back with Camelia transforming into a shield allowing Akiya to brace herself with her weapons. Ran held her hands up, ready to cast a spell, and Jurgen gripped his mace.

They could hear the serpents hissing in the trees just off the beaten path. Unfortunately with the way the forest was lit they were only able to catch glances as the creatures darted behind trees and around bushes. They could hear the soft giggling and the laughter of the nagas that were clearly taunting them.