Chapter 21

Saying Camelia was okay was the wrong word. It was something she was going to struggle to get used to, even if it was only temporary. Ariadne had put a plant based "socket" over the wound to prevent it from getting infected.

It looked like a wooden socket, but Camelia said it was squishy on the inside and didn't feel right. Ariadne explained the wood was secreting a sap that was disinfecting the wound and healing what was left of her damaged skin and flesh.

The blue dragon was wobbly and couldn't walk with all the numbness she was feeling, and happily agreed to be carried. Akiya gave her a piggy back ride before being ushered to the middle of their group so she couldn't be attacked.

Camelia rested her cheek on the back of Akiya's neck, wrapping her good arm around her shoulders to keep steady. Akiya was supporting her rear and occasionally checked in on her thoughts. She had never seen Camelia take a beating or get hurt like this, so it was not only a rare sight, but a frightening one. Even when she got hit in practice she was still growling and fighting.

"Are you worried?" Camelia whispered, only loud enough for Akiya to hear even in the middle of their group. The blue dragon sounded just as drowsy and tired as she did before and Akiya could imagine that her eyes were closed.

"Of course. You're my world." Akiya answered, not caring who was listening nor was she whispering. "I'll always worry about you, just as you always worry about me."

"You're not mad?"

"Why would I ever be mad?" Akiya scoffed.

"I might not be as strong as I was... I might need you're help all the time... I might-"

"I know this is mostly the drugs talking, but I'd still like to make myself perfectly clear, just incase. Even if this was permanent, which it very well may be, it will never change the way I feel about you. You will always be my everything, and even if we wouldn't be able to go on adventures anymore, I'd still rather spend every second with you." Akiya answered. "Though, let's be real; you could lose both your arms and you'd still try and fight like you always did. Something like this will never be enough to put you down."

"I love you." Camelia whimpered.

"I love you too." Akiya answered with a smile. "And I always will."

Ran glanced up at the mushroom stalks as they walked past. The enviornment seemed alien before but now it certainly was. Long glowing purple vines wrapped up some if the fungal trees like a cancer. Some of the trees and stalks seemed to be wilting, like they were being pulled over.

"So, do we know if these spores are toxic?" Jurgen called, glancing around. Sure enough there was a gentle mist that floated in the air, but they didn't know if it was mist or spores. Though, Akiya thought the air tasted funny.

"I'm pretty sure I played a game where that happened. It turned people into zombies." Akiya explained.

"No." Ariadne answered, shaking her head at Akiya's remark. "I would have gotten an effect very quickly. But I wouldn't recommend eating any of the actual mushrooms. If they are anything like normal mushrooms they'll all be connected underground. And if you hurt one, you'd hurt all of them."

"Could Medea be using that to spy on us?" Nokiya asked.

"I doubt it. Even my magic isn't able to connect that well. I imagine for her being much less attuned to it she would have a much harder time." Ariadne shrugged. "While Fungi are similar to plants, they tend to be far different in most other cases."

"Plants are weird." Camelia muttered into Akiya's shoulder.

"I agree, but don't tell Aria we said so." Akiya grinned.