25

"Jahseh?"

"Jahseh?"

"What?" He mumbled as he changed the TV channel.

"Can i ask you something?"

"Yeah."

"Do you have siblings?"

"No."

I sat up, making my head pop up in his view since I was laying on the floor. "You don't?"

"Didn't I just say no? I don't."

"Why? Your mom didn't want anymore kids?" I asked, climbing on top of his bed.

"You wanna ask her that? I don't know her." He reached out for the hot Cheetos.

"What do you mean?"

He huffed. "Stop asking questions."

"Wait, one more." I signaled with my finger. "One question."

"No. Go to sleep."

"Please? I promise I'll stop asking." I took his Cheetos. "And answer honestly."

"Vruh what?"

"What do you mean you don't know her?"

He laughed. "Cora, I'm literally a foster kid. Tank's my guardian."

"Wait. So-"

He rolled his eyes. "I'm adopted. Yeah. So, no I don't have siblings. A bitch abandoned me." He shrugged. "I.. I ain't got shit to explain. Whatever the situation was, obviously, i must not have been enough."

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"That you had to go through that." I looked at him.

As a kid, that shit is hard. Imagine thinking, why didn't my parents want me? My heart aches for him.

"Don't feel sorry, tahaha. I'm not thinking about that. If I don't feel bad, you shouldnt either."

"So... Tank is your dad?"

"No. He's my friend who got me out of foster care. I couldn't do shit in that place, but now look at me. My house ain't much, I'm not one to show out. I use my money wisely. I made a living for myself."

"By killing people and selling drugs?" I laid next to him.

"I don't kill people. Thats not what I want to do, but sometimes I can't control my anger." He sighed. "Those times I put my hands on you, I'm sorry. I swear, I wish I had self-control."

"Its not like I do it on purpose, Jahseh. You just take things the wrong way sometimes."

"If that's how you see it, I respect it. As long as you forgive me. You do forgive me, right?"

I nodded. "Don't ever do it again."

"C'mere." He patted the spot next. "And give me the cheetos."