•4•

"Come on Audrey you don't want to be late for your ballet class." my mum calls.
"I gotta find my flower!" She yells from her room.
"Her flower?" My mum asks.
"Her special flower clip, she got it in New York and it's supposedly good luck." I shrug.
There's a knock on the door and I walk over and open it.
"Oh hey!" I say, surprised to see Tom for the second day in a row. "What's up?"
"I was actually wondering if you and Audrey would want to come over and have a fire with Haz and I? That picture yesterday made me miss our weekend fire pits." He asks. His hands rub together, which always meant he was nervous.
"Actually, Audrey has ballet class tonight." I say.
"Ugh!" She groans loudly as she stomps out to us. "I can't find my lucky flower!"
"You don't need a flower, you're a beautiful dancer just as you are." I say.
Her eyes pass me and go straight to Tom, lighting up.
"Spiderman!" She yells excitedly.
"Hey kiddo!" Tom smiles as he kneels down to her height.
"Why are you always with my mom?" She asks.
"Because she's my friend." he says.
"She's never mentioned Spiderman before." she says and I laugh.
"Well my names actually Tom." he says and Audrey's mouth forms an o shape.
"You're mommy's first boyfriend ew!" She squeals.
"Alright missy time for ballet." I say quickly and Tom laughs.
"Come on lets go." My mom says, taking Audrey's hand.
"Hey Tom." Audrey says, waving Tom down to her. He bends over and she cuffs her hands around his ear and whispers something, causing him to laugh.
"Bye!" She says, leaving with my mom.
"What did she just say?" I ask. Knowing my six year old says a lot of crazy stuff.
"She said you think I'm cute." he laughs.
"Now I have never said that to her, she's got a way of exaggerating everything." I say.
"She is just like you." he says.
"Yeah.. she kind of is sadly." I laugh.
"So? How about that fire pit?" He asks.
"Yeah, I'm in." I nod.
I grab my sweatshirt, throwing it on. Even though it's spring it's still chilly outside.
We cross the street and walk through the gate to his backyard. It was really weird. I feel like we are back in high school again.
"Oh wow she actually came." Haz laughs.
I look around the backyard. The flower pots, the lights, the patio furniture. Everything is exactly the same.
"Why wouldn't I?" I ask.
"Because supposedly you have a child and I wasn't aware of it?" Haz says.
"I didn't tell anyone." I shrug as we sit down.
"Tom knew!" He says.
"Only cause he was over at my house!" I laugh.
When Tom and I started dating, Haz really stepped into the best friend spot. We got really close and he's probably offended that my ex boyfriend knows more than him.
"Wow you weren't kidding she is back." Harry says, as him and Sam walk out to us.
"Aw hey my favorite twins!" I smile, getting up to hug both of them. "What are you guys up to these days?"
They start to talk about everything they've been doing these past few years, Tom chiming in with some stories from filming with Jake gyllenhaal. It feels so natural, hanging out around the fire pit with them. Everyone back in New York is so high strung and constantly wanting to go do something. I much prefer being able to relax and have a conversation. We sit around talking for what feels like hours. I haven't had this much socialization in forever.
"You know what would really make this reunion like old times?" Haz says.
"What?" I ask.
"If we all loaded up in the car, and drove all night until we end up somewhere. Remember that one time we couldn't even find a hotel so we slept in the car? I miss those days."
"The days when we had no responsibility, all we worried about was having fun.." I sigh. "I miss it."
My phone dings and I pull it out.
Mom: back from ballet, where are you?
"Well, looks like I better get going. Audrey is home." I say.
"Aw come on bring her over for a little bit! I wanna meet her!" Haz says.
I think for a moment. Tom hasn't suspected anything by now so it's likely he won't. It can't hurt to bring her over for just a little while.
"Alright." I shrug.
Allison: want to walk her over to Toms?
I wait a few minuets and hear the gate open, seeing Audrey in her little ballet outfit run over to me.
"Hey no running by the fire please" I say and she slows down.
"Wow strict." Haz laughs.
"Who are you?" Audrey asks sassily.
"I'm your uncle Haz!" he says.
"So you're dating my aunt Lia?" Audrey asks confused.
"That's not how that works Audrey." I laugh.
"I'm the cool one around here so we're going to have lots of fun!" he high fives her.
We sit around the fire and Haz goes inside.
"You know Audrey, I use to do ballet too." Tom says.
"Really?" She smiles.
"Yup! It was a lot of fun."
"Why don't you do it anymore?" She asks.
"I'm too busy being Spiderman." he says.
"I hope I never get too busy to do ballet, I'm going to be a ballerina!" She says proudly.
"I bet you are!" He smiles.
"Alright the cool uncle is back and guess what? He's got marshmallows!" Haz says and Audrey jumps up excitedly.
He walks over with roasting sticks and the bag of marshmallows.
"As long as marshmallows before bed is okay?" He asks.
"I'm a cool mom Haz." I say, offended he'd think I'd say no.
"Okay." he laughs.
He puts marshmallows on the sticks and Audrey has the time of her life holding it in the fire. Fire pits weren't exactly something we did much in New York. Or at all.
I hear a bark and see Tessa running out to us.
"Ahhh look at her!" Audrey squeals as she eats her marshmallow.
"That's Tessa." I say.
She gets up and walks over to Tessa, petting her.
"I love you." she whispers to her, patting her head and Tom smiles widely. The instant connection between these two was undeniably there. She's always loved dogs. We just could never get one back in New York.
"I want a dog." she frowns.
"Until you get one, you can just love on Tess." I say.
"I love Tess! We're going to be best friends." she smiles.
"So, you had a baby." Haz says, almost mind blown. "How old is she?"
I instantly know what Haz is getting at, and I can't let him go there.
"She's five." I lie.
"So wheres the dad?" He asks.
"He's not apart of her life." I state simply, really wanting to move on from this conversation.
"He's not apart? Why?" Tom asks, genuinely concerned.
"Things just didn't work out." I shrug.
"Oh.." he says.
We watch as Audrey runs around with Tessa. My eyes glance over to Tom, his smile prominent as he gets up and walks over to them. He grabs Tessa's ball, handing it to Audrey to throw for her.
"So do I need to beat some New York fuckboy ass?" Haz asks and I laugh.
Man I missed these guys.