•18•

I clean up a few things while Audrey changes into her pajamas. My phone rings and I check to see who it is, and when I see the screen illuminate with Toms name I feel anger rise in me.
"What was that testosterone contest today?" I ask.
"Hello to you too." He mutters.
"Tom you really had to quiz him like that?" I say.
"Yes. If he's going to be around you- Audrey. If he's going to be around my daughter he can't be some weirdo." He stumbles over his words.
"He's not weird. He's very nice." I say.
"Fine.. but anyways that's not why I called." He says. "It's Audrey's bed time and I wanted to say goodnight."
I can't help but smile at that sentence. Audrey walks into the living room with her pajamas on and her sleep mask sitting on her forehead.
"Baby, you've got a phone call." I say, putting the phone on speaker.
Audrey takes the phone, sitting on the couch next to me.
"Hello?" She says with a yawn.
"Hey pumpkin." Tom says, and you can hear his smile.
"Hi daddy!" She says. "Are you gonna come sing me to sleep again?"
He sings her to sleep?.. he always use to talk about how the only way he'd ever sing is if it was for our future baby.
"No, but I called to tell you goodnight." He says.
"Please come see me daddy." She frowns. "Pleeeaasseee!"
"You can come tuck her in if you want." I say.
"Alright, I'll be over in a minuet."
And with that, i hang up my phone. Audrey smiles widely, and waits anxiously by the door. I love how much she loves Tom. I just wish she could have both of us all the time.
"There he is." I say, looking out the window.
"Daddy!" Audrey runs out and Tom picks her up, holding her in his arms.
"Hey honey." He says, kissing her cheek as he shuts the door behind him.
"Are you sure we can't stay up?" Audrey asks him.
"Mummy says it's bedtime, and mummy is always right." He says.
He carries her back to her room, and I follow loosely behind. He lays her down, sitting on the side of her bed. He sings to her, his voice low and soothing. The voice I only got to hear once in a blue moon. I loved it so much.. I remember thinking that every time he sang to me, nothing could be wrong. It's like the world was gone, and it was just us.
Now seeing him holding our daughter, singing to her.. this is what I imagined our lives would be. Tucking her in together every night, falling asleep in his arms..
get it together, Allie. It's never going to happen.
"Goodnight angel." He says, kissing her cheek and pulling her eye mask down.
"Night daddy." She says. "Night momma."
"Goodnight." I say.
Tom walks over to me, shutting Audreys door.
"You're really good with her." You compliment.
"I adore her." He says.
"Well she adores you." I say.
I'm glad to see he's no longer so angry at me that he can't even speak to me. Although he is still super distant. I understand why.
"Look I uh, I know I've been a dick." He says.
"You have every right to be. I did something so terrible.. I understand." I say
"Its just going to take some time to get over it.." he states. "I'm going to try harder to be civil though."
"Alright, I think once we get this figured out it's going to work just fine." I say as we reach the front door.
"Yeah, I think so too." He nods.
We stand at the door in complete silence, not really sure what to do now. Everything in me is begging him to stay the night. Watch a movie, drink tea together, cuddle. I don't know why I crave his affection, why can't I just be as over him as he is of me.
"Goodnight Allie." He says.
"Goodnight Tom."
_____
All night I dreamt of Tom.
I didn't want to, god I wish I could just not think about him, but I did.
I really want to move on, be able to start something with Nick. He's an amazing guy and I think this could lead to something really great. I just need to get over Tom first..
"Bye honey." I wave as Audrey runs off to class.
"Bye!" She calls.
My phone dings and I grab it.
Tom: hey can we talk?
Allison: yeah, be home in 10.
I drove home, playing music the whole way there. I really can't be bothered to stress over what Tom wants to talk about, if it's bad it's bad. There's nothing I can do about it.
I get to the house and mentally scream at the sight. Why the fuck is Tom and Nick both waiting on my porch?! This is literally the worst possible scenario.
"Hey guys.." I say awkwardly, walking up the steps.
"Didn't know you had company coming." Tom says.
"I didn't either." I say, looking over to Nick anxiously.
"Sorry to just drop by, just thought I'd bring you coffee and a muffin." He smiles, handing me the cup and little bag with a fresh muffin in it.
"Aww, that's so sweet." I grin, and he kisses my cheek.
"I'll uhm.. I'll let you guys do whatever it is you need to do. I gotta get to work." Nick says.
"Have a good day." I say, waving goodbye as he walks to his car, driving away.
I unlock the front door and Tom gives me a weird face.
"Really?" He says as we walk inside.
"What?" I ask.
"He brought you coffee before he went to work." He scoffs.
"And that's a problem?" I question, setting my stuff down and sitting on the couch.
"it's just.. a little sudden." He shrugs.
"We're both adults, we both have kids, giving me a coffee isn't moving fast." I say. "But anyways, you needed to talk to me about something?"
"Yeah, I'm going to New York for two weeks just to film a few reshoots for the movie." He says.
"Okay.." I say.
"I just, I don't know if I'm suppose to tell Audrey or if you should.. I don't know how to do this parent thing." He admits and I smile.
"It's difficult." I say. "We can both tell her if you want?"
"Yeah. I think that's a good idea." He nods.
I can see how nervous he is. He practically became a dad over night with no warning, There's no way anyone could handle that perfectly. Being a parent is hard enough as is, become a parent with no preparation? That's almost impossible.
"Don't worry too much, Audrey loves you. She will understand."

A/N: this is basically just a filler chapter srry it sucks lmao