•9•

"Tom is going to the dance with me!" Audrey says excitedly as we sit down at my mum's table for dinner.
"He is?" My dad questions.
"Yeah! I'm gonna wear a pretty dress and everything!" She squeals.
"That's sweet of him." My mum comments.
"He even said we could all go out and get her a dress together, on him." I say, rolling my eyes.
It makes me feel like he's trying to say I can't do good enough for Audrey. Just because I'm unemployed right now doesn't mean I can't get my daughter a beautiful dress, but nonetheless I agreed.
We eat, and Lia talks all about her new relationship the whole time. I missed family dinners. As we finish up, Audrey hears my phone ringing and runs to go grab it. I stand up and follow over to her.
"Hello?" She says.
Soon the confusion on her face turns into a smirk.
"Oh hey there Harrison." She giggles and I face palm.
"Audrey, phone." I say, putting my hand out.
"I'll talk to you later pretty boy." She says, handing me my phone.
"Hey." I say, stepping outside.
"Your daughter needs to find a guy her own age." He laughs.
"God I know.." I say. "What's up?"
"Can I stay at your place tonight? Tuwaine and his girlfriend are going at it." He says.
"Yeah sure." I laugh. "Come on over, we're headed back there now."
We say our goodbyes to the family, and head out, walking back to the guest house as we see Haz's car pull up.
"Haz!" Audrey screams excitedly, running up to his car.
He gets out, and she slams into him with a hug.
"Hey Angel, how're you?" He asks her.
She starts telling Haz about her day as we walk inside. I love how close they are already. Once her little crush passes they're going to be the best of friends.
"Alright Audrey, go brush your teeth and put on pajamas." I say and she frowns.
"But moooom!" She whines.
"It's late, and you have school in the morning." I say.
"Fine!" She groans, stomping off to the bathroom.
"Sassily little thing." Haz says.
"You haven't even seen the half of it." I shake my head.
I get Audrey put to bed with her favorite stuffed elephant and tuck her in. With a kiss to her forehead, I step out of her room and shut the door behind me.
"You still have this?" Haz asks as he looks at the photo of us that I found the other day.
"I have tons of photos." I say. "You can go through them if you want."
"Yeah." He nods. "Wanna see how dumb Tom and I use to look."
"I'm my closet there's a box of photos." I say.
As Haz goes to retrieve the photos I pull out two wine glasses and a bottle of red wine. If we're taking a trip down memory lane I will need some alcohol.
I sit down at the island, popping the bottle and pouring the liquid into the glasses. Haz walks back in, setting the box on the table. He starts pulling out photos and we go through them, reminiscing on each lovely memory. From our first lemonade stand to our high school graduation. I kept every picture ever taken of all of us.
"Oh my god.." he laughs, holding up a photo of Tom and I from grade five. We danced at our talent show and it was awful, but we thought we were amazing. We wore matching sweatbands and used chalk to put colored streaks in our hair.
"That is my worst memory." I giggle, finishing up the last sip of wine in my glass.
I walk over to the fridge, pouring more wine into my glass. His laughing dies down and I turn around, my eyes widening when I see what's in his hands.
That fucking crumpled up letter...
his eyes lift from the page, meeting mine. I'm frozen in my place, unable to react in any way. He looks down to the paper once more, as if rereading it.
"Allison.." he sighs.
"Haz I need you to listen to me.. you can't tell a soul." I say.
"She's not five?!" He whisper yells at me.
"She's six years old.. I got pregnant with her four weeks before I broke up with Tom." I explain in hope that he will keep my secret.
"Allie what the fuck?" He asks in disbelief, setting the paper aside and standing up.
"Please Haz.. you cant tell Tom." I say.
"Why not?!" He asks.
I make him sit on the couch with me, and I explain everything. How Tom had just gotten his role as Spiderman, how I was going to tell him later but it just never happened, and how I'm now scared to tell him. It's too late, I can't. Haz just sits silently, taking in the information. His face is unreadable, and I'm terrified he's going to tell everyone..
"How shallow do you think he is?.." Haz asks quietly.
"That's the problem.. he's not. He would have ruined his career for her. That's why I left, Haz. I couldn't take that away from him." I explain.
"Well now look what you're taking away from him." He says.
"He has no clue.. and it's better that way." I say.
"You really expect me to not tell my best friend that he has a daughter?" He asks.
"I'm your best friend too." I say plainly.
He looks over to me, letting out a big sigh. I look at him with pleading eyes and he groans.
"Alright.. I won't say anything." He says. "But I really really think you should."
"Everyone's been saying that a lot lately.." I sigh.
"Tom is her father, Allie. He loves you two, you could have the perfect family.. all you have to do is tell him."
"He doesn't love me like that anymore.. I just don't want her being split up between parents.." I say.
"I can't believe I am agreeing to this.." he sighs, shoving his head in his hands.
"Just act like you never saw that." I say.
"That's kinda impossible, Allie." He groans.
"I'm sorry.." I frown.
"You did this all on your own?" He asks.
"From four weeks pregnant till now." I nod.
"We could have been there for you.. helped you." He says.
I love how thoughtful Haz is, and always has been. He is absolutely my most cherished friend.
"I made the choice to have her on my own.. and I did it. I didn't need to pull everyone into my drama and lies.. I'm sorry you have to keep this secret."