xɪɪɪ

Edmund's POV

After lunch, we headed back. (Y/n) and Simon showed us what they saw, and we decided to leave it for the professor to take a look at. Then we went to the library to continue our research. I avoided sitting next to (Y/n), fearing that I wouldn't be able to concentrate on what I was doing with my mind wondering about my thoughts earlier. No, it's not like that, right? (Y/n) is...(Y/n) is- I sighed in defeat and went back to my book. I would think about it later. That day we went through a total of eight books including the four from before. It was slow but I told myself it would be worth it.

The next day Professor Mumford had returned. We were able to get assistance. Adaline gently knocked on the door and waited. We were in the library, waiting at a big wooden door with the nameplate Mumford on it. A tall old man with dark grey hair, square glasses, and a mustache came out wearing a red robe. "Professor Mumford, could you help us?"

"Of course Princess, what do you need assistance with?" He said letting us in his study.

"As you know we found Simon but he's trapped in a mirror and his body is out there somewhere. We believe it's a curse but maybe you might have a better idea of what we should look for," Adaline said.

"Where is the prince?" Professor Mumford asked. Adaline held up the mirror. "Well I'll be...may I?" He asked before taking hold of Simon.

"Well, it's good to see you professor," Simon grinned.

"Apologies m'lord, I'm just taken aback that's all," he stared back at him intently. It was like they were speaking to each other with their eyes.

"Do you think someone placed a curse on him or..." Adaline trailed off.

"I can't say from just this," the professor looked at the mirror turning it over and looking at the carvings. "These markings, they look familiar, but I can't remember what, come with me." He led us further into his study. It was full of shelves with books and scrolls that covered the walls. There was a table covered in jars, paper, ink, and maps. It was any researcher's dream. He set Simon down on a cabinet and pulled out some books and scrolls. Great more things to look through, lovely.

"There should be something in here that matches or translates what these markings say," the professor said.

"Professor, Simon and I found soot when we were going through his chambers, we could show you," (Y/n) said.

"Yes, let's go," we were all about to leave when Simon interjected.

"Wait- Edmund, Adaline, and Lucy should stay and start going through the scrolls. You know speed things up, Professor why don't you write the markings down so they have a reference." We all looked at each other and nodded. After the professor sketched out the markings for us, he left with (Y/n) and Simon. I don't know why but something feels off about Simon. Maybe I'm just being judgmental. I hesitantly turned my attention back towards looking for a match or translator for the markings.

(Y/n)'s POV

Opening the door led to the same silent and still room I had entered in yesterday. I felt strange knowing Simon was attacked here, and seeing the soot and blood only strengthen it.

"Look right here," I showed him the soot on the back of the door and by the bed.

"The blood was from me, don't worry," Simon said nonchalantly. The words blood and don't worry aren't usually used in the same sentence Simon.

Simon rehashed what he told me about that night to the professor. The old man's face creased, and his features sadden with shame. First Simon, now the professor...we're they in cahoots?