Chapter 26

Chapter 26: Tears
Zanashi

If there's something I learned from the stunts of Student's Equity Association these past few days, that is to use your voice when everyone's afraid to speak up and to be brave when nobody wants to stand up. Because eventually, when students realized and witnessed that someone was fighting for them, it gives them hope and strength to join the battle, because they know that they are not alone, and that someone's ready to die for them, to catch the bullet for them.

I stood beside Sulivan. I could feel his eyes on me but I didn't turn my head to meet his stares.

With a surprise look that's very visible on his wrinkled face, President force himself to laugh but he's still unable to formulate words. I then shifted my gaze to the school official who wants Sulivan to be expelled.

"Believe me, sir, I tried to pursuade him.." sandali kong tiningnan si Sulivan. His eyes were filled with shock, awe, and worry. Muli kong binalik ang tingin sa school official. ".. to stop doing these nonsense. Do you know, sir, what I've realized after I said those words? I realized that I was such a coward to stop this man from protecting us. He's not just protecting himself, he's protecting the students and this institution. They are taking the risks for us. Do you realize how lucky you are, sir, for having students like them? They could choose to remain silent and just blindly follow your rules, but they chose the path that would benefit the majority, even if it means bringing them into the uncertain reality. All this time, you thought they are your enemies but they are actually your greatest defender, sir. They are protecting the school administration from further embarassment and humiliation when this system continues."

Everyone fell silent. Professor Amilagir beamed at me and gave me a reassuring nod. Rowan, who's just standing beside Professor Amilagir, wiped the tears from the corner of his eyes. President and the rest of the school officials blinked many times, trying to absorb everything at once.

I suddenly feel someone standing beside me. Nang lumingon ako'y ang seryosong mukha ni Yohan ang sumalubong sa akin. Sa tabi naman ni Sulivan ay si Airah at sa likod namin ay sina Luisa, Victor John, at Oliver.

"If you'll expel them, you need to expel us as well.." madiing sabi ni Yohan.

"This school is hopeless without them, so it's no use staying here," said Oliver.

Nagulat ako nang maglakad papunta sa pwesto namin ang mga first years, ang mga natitirang second years, at lahat ng higher years. We are all standing on the aisle, looking at the school officials, and hoping for the new beginning.

Sobrang tahimik sa loob ng hall na kapansin-pansin ang biglang pagbukas ng pinto at ang pagdagsaan ng mga estudyante rito sa pangunguna nina Dylan at Francis. Sumunod sina Yanna, Rica Mae, Caitlyn, Alicias, at isa pang miyembro ng Student's Equity Association mula sa Block D.

Akala ko'y sa kanila na nagtatapos pero laking gulat ko nang sunod-sunod na nagsipasukan ang iba pa naming mga kaklase, batchmates, at iba pang estudyante galing sa ibang section at year levels. Seryoso ang bawat isa hanggang marating nila ang gitnang bahagi kung saan kami nakapwesto.

Gulat na gulat ang lahat sa mga nangyayari. Sa isang iglap ay napuno ng mga estudyante ang conference hall sa puntong hindi na kinaya pang pumasok ng iba.

"Sir, we're begging you, please stop this system already. Siguro ay madali sa inyong sabihin na wala lang ito, pero hindi matutumbasan ang epekto nito sa amin. You said that this was to motivate us but no, sir. This is breaking us apart. This is like a devil whispering endless evil things to us, forcing us to do things that would drag other's down.." said Airah.

"Y-you don't know what you're talking about. We are doing this for you. How could you not understand it?" balisang sabi ng President.

Tumango ang ibang officials bilang pagsang-ayon dito pero ang iba'y nanatiling nakatingin sa amin, hindi makapaniwalang pinag-isa kami ng determinasyon naming makamit ang pagbabago.