Chapter 3: Winter Solstice Part 1

Havi's pov

Aang, Sokka, Katara, and I were all relaxing on Appa while on our way to the North Pole. After a little bit of small talk I found out that right now our mission is to get Aang to a waterbending teacher so he can master the element. Our peace and quiet was interrupted when Katara spoke, "Those clouds look so soft, don't they? Like you could just jump down and you'd land in a big, soft, cottony heap."

"Maybe you should give it a try," Sokka suggests making me let out a soft laugh.

"You're hilarious." Katara says dryly.

"Havi laughed."

I nudge Sokka, "Don't bring me into this."

"I'll try it!" Aang yells before jumping off Appa to disappear beyond the clouds. Us three left looked over the edge right as the air bender jumped back on Appa behind us, "Turns out, clouds are made of water." He airbended his soaking clothes dry.

"Hey, what is that?" Katara brings out attention to land that looks dark and out of place from the other trees.

"It's like a scar," I point out.

We all land down in the dead forest and sokka says, "listen, it's so quiet. There's no life anywhere."

"Aang are you okay?" Katara was cut off by a yelling sokka.

"Fire nation!" He bends down by some footprints so I walk over to see them as well, "those evil savages make me sick. They have no respect for-" Katara shushes him, "What, I'm not allowed to be angry?"

She points over to a sorrowful aang as he drops to his knees, "why would anyone do this? How could I let this happen?"

I try to help, "Aang you didn't let this happen. It has nothing to do with you."

"Yes it does. It's the avatars job to protect nature, but I don't know how to do my job."

"That's why were going to the North Pole" katara says this time, "to find you a teacher."

"Yeah. A waterbending teacher but there's no one who can teach me how to be the avatar," he continues to look away from us, "monk Gyatso said that avatar Roku would help me."

Sokka looked up in confusion, "the avatar before you? He died over a hundred years ago. How are you supposed to talk to him?"

"I don't know," Momo jumps into Aang's lap so he pets his ears.

"Hey Aang, are you ready to be cheered up?" Katara says his her hands behind her back.

"No- Ow!" She threw an acorn at his head and I picked it off the ground, "hey, how is that cheering me up?"

Sokka laughed, "cheered me up- Ow!" I had thrown the acorn at his head and he rubs where it hit, "yeah I probably deserved that."

"These acorns are everywhere, Aang" katara explains and bends down to where he sat, "that means the forest will grow back. Every one of these will be a tall oak tree someday and all the birds and animals that lived here will come back." She places the acorn in his hand.

"Thanks, Katara." An old man walking towards us brings my attention away from the little couple, I'm not forcing it but there's definitely some romantic tension in there.

"Hey, who are you?" I ask frantically.

He answers, "when I saw the flying bison I thought it was impossible but those markings.. are you the avatar, child?" Aang looks back at katara for permission before nodding, "my village desperately needs your help." The man took us to what I'm assuming is his worn down village. Almost all the houses were destroyed. He leads us into a building with people inside, "this young person is the avatar."