Chapter 54: The Runaway

Hehe -

Havi's pov

"Well, look who decided to join us. Where have you two been? Off scamming again?" Katara patronizes Toph and I as we return to camp around dinner time. She was right. Toph wanted to go back into town and I felt uncomfortable around Sokka so I left with her. No harm.

"Yes, we were," Toph answers.

"And I suppose you don't think what you're doing is dangerous at all?"

"No, I don't."

Katara puts her hands on her hips, "Really?"

"Yes, really."

"Well then, what's this?" She aggressively pulls out a wanted poster. Hold up, a wanted poster?!

"I don't know!" Toph yells frustrated, "I mean seriously, what's with you people. I'm blind."

"It's a wanted poster of you. The runaway. Is that what you're called now? Are you proud of this?"

"Where did you get that?" Toph bites back to avoid the question.

Katara avoids her gaze, "it doesn't matter where I got it. The fact is—"

"You went through my stuff!" Toph explodes, "you had no right!"

"Your stuff was messy and I was just straightening up and I happened to stumble across it."

"That's a lie, you're lying, Katara," She points an accusing finger in the girl's face.

"Fine, it's a lie but you've been so out of control lately, I knew something was up. I knew you were hiding something and you were!" Toph rips the poster from Katara's hands, throws it off and leaves, "Don't you walk away from me while I'm talking to you."

"Oh, really, mom? Or what are you going to do?" She taunts, "send me to my room?"

"I wish I could."

"Well you can't because you're not my mom and you're not their mom," My eyes widen as Toph points at Aang, Sokka, and I.

Katara jabs back, "I never said I was."

"No but you certainly act like it. You think it's your job to boss everyone around but it's not," Toph rants, "You're just a regular kid like the rest of us, so stop acting like you can tell me what to do. I can do whatever I want."

"I don't act that way. Sokka, do I act motherly?"

He puts his hands up, "hey, I'm staying out of this one."

She turns to me and I just shake my head rapidly so she moves onto the last person, "what do you think, Aang? Do I act like a mom?"

Aang scratches his eye, "Well... I-"

"Stop rubbing your eye and speak clearly when you talk!"

The three of us immediately straighten our posture, "Yes ma'am."

"I can't be around you right now," Toph walks away.