Chapter 52: The Avatar and The Firelord

Okay this chapter is super fvcking short but Im double updating so u get two chapters today 😎 sorry I missed last week lol I was mega stressed with school.

Havi's pov

So, where do I start? Not long ago, like a few days max, we were minding our own business when a man with machine limbs attacked us. He was absolutely insane. He could blow things up with his MIND. Just with a look and.. BOOM. It was quite scary but also rather impressive I have to admit.

After a short rest from that incident, we were on our way to an island, under Aang's commands.

"There it is. That's Roku's home," Aang announces. I look out from Appa's saddle and see a small area with two mountains, or maybe they're volcanos?

We land and Katara looks around, "but there's nothing here."

Toph joins us on the rocky ground, "Yes, there is. An entire village." She takes a few steps to get a better feel, "Hundreds of houses. All completely buried in ash."

As colors began to paint the sky, Aang leads us up to a ledge so he could meditate. With the sun glowing onto the water, the added peace quickly made his tattoos glow, showing that he made his way to the spirit world. Apparently, avatar Roku had come to him in a dream. He said they needed to talk.

Everything was going fine until he began moving. We watched in confusion, then shock, then plain disgust as he squats, his whole body tense. "Do they have bathrooms in the spirit world?" Sokka croaked.

I squeak out a rushed, "Nope."

"Should we be worried?"

"I'm not sure," I shrug, "I guess we just wait."

And wait we did. It took hours and hours and as night fell we decided that maybe it was best we rested for the night. If Aang ends up coming from his state then he'll just find us and wake us up.

We roll out our blankets, "So, what do you think they're talking about?"

Sokka hums in thought, "Who knows, maybe they're talking about cheesy delicacies or smoked cuisine."

"Is it always about food to you?" I smack his chest playfully.

He grabs my wrist firmly, his soft fingers grazing over my skin, "you know it." He kisses my hand and drags me down, "now, let's sleep, yeah?"

"Sure, I guesssss soooo," I act like I didn't want to but deep down I was pretty tired. I turn to my side under the blankets as a lean arm wraps around my waist and pulls me closer. My back was held tightly against Sokka's front while his head nuzzled into my neck.

I loved night.

When all else was stressful and hectic, wars and fear, this was just me and him. Him and me. I could go through the worst of the worst but as soon as his arms wrappee around me, it's like it never even happened. He's truly my safe place. At this point in time, I don't think I could live without Sokka. Not now that I know him.

As I feel his breathing become more shallow and slow, I whisper into the chilled night air, "Sokka?"

No answer. He was asleep.

"I," I take a deep breath while staring out into the dark camp, "I think I'm in love with you."

And with that, the world darkened as my body shut down.

• • •

The next morning was slow at first, as all we did was watch Aang, but eventually he awoke from his trance as well.

"So," Toph asks, "How was it?"

Aang went on to explain how avatar Roku and fire lord Sozin were actually friends. In the fire nation, they grew up together, trained together, even talked about girls together.

On their birthday, which they shared, the fire sages came and announced the new avatar. After that day, Roku was forced to leave all he had known to become realized.

Years later, when his hard work was over, he finally headed back to the palace. At this point, Sozin had become firelord. They reconnected and grew close once again, Sozin was even Roku's best man.

At his wedding, Sozin told Roku about plans to invade other nations in order to spread the peace and wealth they had. Roku immediately shot him down but that didn't stop his friend. A long time passed and the then avatar had found out Sozin began creating colonies anyways. Even through his anger, he spared his friend one last time, which he learned quickly to be a mistake.

Once they had reached old age, Roku lived on an island, the one we were currently on, peacefully with his wife. All was going fine until the massive volcano around them began to erupt. Wanting to keep the village and it's people safe while they fled, Roku stayed back to fight away the lava. He struggled alone until Sozin appeared and helped, but the kindness didn't last long.

Sozin just up and left his oldest friend to die. He traded the life in front of him for the fascism of the fire nation.

All of us were shocked at the information given. Katara was the first to speak up, "you mean, after all Roku and Sozin went through together, even after Roku showed him mercy, Sozin betrayed him like that?"

"It's like these people are born bad," I huff.

"No, that's wrong," Aang tells us, "I don't think that was the point of what Roku showed me at all."

"Then what was the point?" Sokka asked.

"Roku was just as much fire nation as Sozin was, right?" We nod along, "if anything, their story proves anyone's capable of great good and great evil. Everyone, even the fire lord and the fire nation, have to be treated like they're worth giving a chance. And I also think it was about friendships."

Toph questions, "Do you really think friendships can last more than one lifetime?"

Aang grabs her hand, "I don't see why not." Katara and I join in on the had holding.

"Well, scientifically speaking, there's no way to prove that."

I cut him off, "Oh, Sokka, just hold hands." He continues his 'thinking' face but grabs my hand nonetheless as we all stare out into the clear waters and bright sun.