Chapter 8: Jet

Havi's pov

The next morning Jet took Sokka and I into the trees. They were very inventive people, I'll give them that. I mean who else uses bird calls to communicate! Sokka stabs the tree from the branch we're sitting on, "what are you doing?" Jet asked.

Sokka shushed him, "it amplifies vibrations." I guess mr. boomerang is pretty inventive too. He puts his ear to the knife, "nothing yet. Wait, yes. Someone's approaching."

"How many?" Jet asked.

"I think there's just one."

Jet bird calls to the other fighters, "good work, Sokka. Ready your weapons." I grab out my hidden knife and prepare for the attack.

Looking down the street, I realize it's not threat and speak up, "Wait, guys! It's just an old man." But Jet didn't listen to me.

He and his crew surrounded him. "What are you doing in our woods you leach," venom dripped from his words and I stare in shock at the confrontation.

"Pleaser sir, I'm just a traveler." The feeble man says but Jet ignores him and tosses his cane away.

"Do you like destroying towns? Do you like destroying families? Do you!?" They held down the elder, with a foot on his back, to the ground.

"What do we do?" I look to a also taken aback Sokka beside me, "we have to help him."

"Come on," he replies and we begin to make our way down the tree. We go as fast as possible and right when Jet brings back his foot for a kick Sokka traps it with his boomerang, "Jet he's just an old man!"

"He's fire nation, search him!" Jet tries to intimidate us by getting really close.

"He's not hurting anyone!" I yell equally as intimidating. Hey, if he wants to play that game and get in our faces I'll play back...

but I'll win.

Jet ignores me and says to Sokka, "Have you forgotten that the fire nation killed your mother!" I take a sharp inhale. I had no idea Sokka's family suffered through that. Everything went fuzzy from my anger towards this, boy. I wouldn't even call him that because he's so inhuman.

I was brought back when smellerbee said, "we got his stuff, Jet." And that pushed me over the edge.

"You insensitive," I shove his chest, "inconsiderate, rude," I shove him harder and he stumbles back, "piece of shit human being! Not even! You're plain trash! A normal person doesn't act this way! This man did nothing wrong! How can you call yourselves freedom fighters if the freedom you promote isn't even fair!" I want shove him again but Sokka pulls me back.

"It has to be done," he glares at me, "let's get out of here."

They walk off but I can't leave this old man here. Sokka waits for me but I wave him away, "I'll be fine, go. I'm gonna take him somewhere safe." He nods and runs to catch up with the others.

I go to grab the forgotten cane and when I return I give my hand out to help him stand, "I'm so sorry, sir. I wish I could do more for you to make up for what happened."

"It's okay, dear." He held onto my arm as we walk towards the village, "the kindness you're showing me now is enough."

• • •