Chapter 14: Bato of the Water Tribe

I really dodged that boat trip like Havi and Sokka dodge dealing with their
f  e  e  l  i  n  g  s

This chapter is just whatever. Nothing exciting happens so if u want, just skip to the last few paragraphs. That's when smth cute happens lol

Havi's pov

I shoot awake when I hear the boat nearing the beach. Guess I fell asleep? They all hopped out as Bato grabbed a small, brown bowl of paint. "The spirits of water bear witness to these marks," He announces and I walk closer as he puts a curved line with a dot on Sokka's forehead, "for Sokka, the mark of the wise. The same mark your father earned. For Katara the mark of the brave," he made a crescent moon shape on her forehead, "your courage inspires us and for Aang," he made a slightly curved line, "the mark of the trusted. You are now an honorary member of the water tribe."

"I can't," Aang looks to the ground and I raise a brow at him.

Katara insists, "Of course you can!"

"No," He refuses, "You can't trust me." I squint suspiciously at the airbender.

"Aang, what are you talking about?" That's what I'm thinking.

"A messenger gave this to me for Bato," He held out a crumbled piece of paper which Katara snatched from him immediately, "You have to understand. I was afraid you wouldn't-"

"This is the map to our father!" Sokka yells and my jaw physically drops, "You had it the whole time!? How could you? Well, you can go to the North Pole on your own. I'm going to find dad."

He starts to storm away and Bato stops him, "Now, Sokka, I think you should-"

But he refused to listen, "Katara, are you with me?"

She looked regretfully between her brother and her friend, "I'm with you, Sokka."

"Havi?" I was startled by being brought into this. Surely, he wouldn't bring me into his family drama. Right? I look to a deflated Aang and then to the boy I've come to... like... so dearly. Sokka grabbed my hand, "Havi, are you with me?" It almost sounded desperate, like the anger somehow faded for a moment, which only made this that much harder.

I separate from him, "I'm sorry. I'm staying." Sokka gave me a look of betrayal but quickly left with Katara and Bato.

• • •

I lay back in Appa's saddle and think about my decision. Was it the right one? At this point, I'm not even sure. Both options weren't exactly my first choice. By going with the siblings, I would lose Aang, he would be completely alone, and I would probably end up having to go back to my home anyways. By staying, I feel that I've lost one of my first ever girl friends and the only guy I've really connected with before. Neither had happy endings.

I listen in as Katara and Aang share a brief goodbye, that didn't even say goodbye in it, and I've gotta say, it hurt that Sokka refused to say anything to me before leaving. We made eye contact from where he stood at the village gate but the second his eyes met mine, he looked away. That stung. Like, way worse than I thought it could. As they walked away from us, leaving to find their father, a warm tear found its way down my cheek.

Superior walked up to us and Aang spoke with her, "Guess I should be moving on?"

"That would be best," She replied coldly. For a nun, she sure is harsh.

Aang guided Appa out the gates where we could see our friends walking down the other path, "I'm an idiot, Havi."

"You made a mistake, Aang. This one made a bigger impact than others but we'll get through it." He never replied. Just continued to the beach we started at.