Explore

Clay woke up with one objective on his mind: to make George laugh as much as he could throughout the day.

Even a stranger could see that something wasn't right with George last night. Clay didn't need Nick's conversation to know that George was upset about something. But Clay couldn't solve George's problem unless George told him it so, in the meantime, Clay settled on distracting him from it.

Clay woke early and pinged a good-morning text to George before scouting through the chest of drawers. He'd unpacked last night, when it became clear he wouldn't be sleeping anytime soon - too concerned for George's well-being.

He decided on a simple pair of dark gray, straight legged trousers, a white shirt and hoodie, a long, dark blue-black overcoat and a pair of blue-black trainers. As an afterthought, he also pulled on a beanie in the same gray as his trousers.

The worst part of Clay's mask was how long it took to apply in the mornings.

When he'd finally finished getting ready, Clay picked up his phone to see that George had replied with a good-morning of his own and a request to meet at the Café at nine. After checking the time, Clay shot back a quick 'see you there', picked up his wallet and keys and left to make his way to George.

Upon stepping out onto the street, Clay was greeted by ominous gray clouds. He felt a wave of disappointment wash over him at the prospect of his day with George being cut short.

But George seemed unfazed by London's dismal weather. He was wearing another pair of dark blue skinny jeans, a pair of tan walking boots and a warm looking baby blue hoodie. Clay tried to hide his disappointment that George wasn't wearing his hoodie as George greeted him with a sunny smile and a warm takeaway cup.

"What's this?" Clay asked as he took the cup from George's hand, purposefully brushing over his fingers. George smiled and wrapped his now empty hand around his own cup. He blamed the way his fingers tingled on the warmth seeping from the drink and not the brief contact with Clay.

"Try it." George urged instead, nodding at the cup. He lifted his own to take a sip, watching Clay's face. He felt smugly satisfied when Clay shrugged and leant to taste the drink with no further questions. He felt even more smug as he saw something light in Clay's eyes.

Clay hummed. It was coffee of some sort, Clay could tell that much, but it was also creamy and slightly sweet. It didn't taste like anything he would have picked for himself but he enjoyed it none the less. He enjoyed it more upon seeing the excited, slightly smug look on George's face.

"It's really good. What's in it?" Clay said before taking a larger gulp. He enjoyed the way the drink warmed him from the inside. George began leading the way away from the Café, satisfied he wouldn't need to go back in to get Clay something else. Clay fell into step beside him easily.

"It's a caramel cortado." George stated and Clay nodded, pretending he knew what that meant. George giggled. "Espresso, milk and caramel." George explained and Clay mouthed an 'ah' in understanding.

George chuckled a 'you're so dumb' and Clay may have retorted if he wasn't too busy admiring George. Instead, he bumped into George's side gently, just to hear him giggle again. George bumped Clay back but didn't move away after. He was happy to walk practically pressed to Clay's side, shoulder grazing against Clay's upper arm. And Clay wasn't about to complain.