Chapter 20

"We won't stay around here too long Angel because of the threat in the woods; I don't want you anywhere remotely near danger. Caleb and my warriors are patrolling, but you can never be too careful, my love." Alaric said beside me, wrapping my legs around his waist as he walks over to the side of the lake, an ancient-looking bench closely resembling my cracked interior. 

What if he leaves you?

What if he hurts you like they did?

He will never love you after this...

"Angel, you seem nervous, is something troubling you? Is this about what Mark said?" Alaric spoke darkly at the mention of Mark, hating the poor man for some reason.

I felt the tears build up behind my eyes, but I kept them down, not wanting to spill them before I showed him the truth.

"Your mind is so quiet love, you're blocking me out," Alaric stated with a deep frown on his face, looking slightly offended at my purposeful privacy.

I looked down at our joined laps and played with my thumbs; my nerves were severely getting the best of me and I was moments away from crumbling.

One hug from Alaric would set me off on a full-blown crying breakdown, I was on the verge, and it would take one nice compliment to set me over the edge, feeling so guilty and anxious that I can hardly contain it.

I felt like a child in his arms, telling daddy that I made a mistake at school, and he was prying the information out of me, asking what I did wrong.

And that's exactly what this was, wrong.

Wrong on so many levels. I shouldn't feel nervous confiding in the man I have grown to adore; I should open up and share the pain I go through every single day of my life.

Except it wasn't as easy for me as I could imagine it is for others.

Opening up to somebody is the most daunting thing imaginable.

I hated feeling so vulnerable in front of Alaric, he was so strong, and I felt so inferior to that, I should be as strong as him, not cowering away and hiding in a mental box.

I needed to do this; for both of us.

"Baby, what's wrong? You can tell me anything," Alaric whispered, leaning his head on my shoulder and feeling my anxieties creep through my mental barrier, showing Alaric their dark colours.

"Alaric I want to show you something." I stuttered in my mind, unsure of myself and trying to stay as strong as I could, knowing whatever the outcome may be, I will still feel an immense amount of pride and strength in myself, knowing I opened up for the first time, no matter the outcome.

Alaric sat up straight and looked at me expectantly, being ever so patient as always.

Looking at his face properly for one last time, I memorised him in my mind, storing it perfectly for whatever happens and picturing his face to my dying breath.

Alaric is the best thing that has ever happened to me, my guardian angel, my saviour.

"I don't want to make you promise me anything; I need you to know that you are the greatest man I have ever met and anyone would be lucky to have you. I am so grateful for everything you've done for me, and our memories are ingrained into my mind forever." I whispered in my mind, overwhelming emotion straining through my voice and cracking up a little.

Alaric took my hands in his and looked down at me with worry, clearly taken back by my declaration and dark change in mood.

"Angel, you sound like you're breaking ties and leaving me, is that what you're doing?" Alaric whispered, his face torn to pieces and his head lowered slowly, making my tears reach the surface.