Chapter 23

Pushing my arms away from Alaric's chest, I stood a fair distance away from my mate and crossed my arms angrily, appaled by his unfair treatment towards my friends. 

"Alaric that was so rude! You could have told off Kai and Jessie much nicer, and they still would have learnt their lesson. You didn't need to be so mean." I said in our mind link, heartbroken by Alaric's harsh approach, taking a stand for them.

Alaric went to step forward, but I moved right back, not going to be fouled by Alaric's charm right now, he has a lot of explaining to do.

"Angel."

"No don't angel me; you need to start explaining what the heck happened for you to be so mean to them," I said with the most amount of confidence I could muster, trying to stand my ground but judging by Alaric's face, he was finding this highly amusing, not the mood I was going for.

"Baby they dismissed my simple orders, I gave them much fairer punishments than other Alpha would have given them, I was being NICE to them! I could have banished them as rogues for harming their Luna and defying Alpha's orders, they had the best outcome for what they did, and I only did that because you're my mate and care for them; otherwise, they would be gone, declared rogue and off my property in seconds." Alaric stated, annoyed at my questioning and dodging of his outstretched arms.

"Baby this is what an Alpha does, keeps his pack in line and respectful, giving them orders that they can handle and expects them to be followed correctly. An Alpha makes the decisions and enforces them with good reason, trusting his pack members to serve him proudly and united. I'm sorry you're hurt from the treatment I gave them, but baby that's what I have to do when they step out of line and hurt the most precious being in the world to me. I have to do what I believe is right and keep you as safe as I possibly can; you may find my anger to be scary, but my pack need to learn their lessons where necessary. I hate to do it in front of you, but you needed to see the measures I take to protecting you little one, don't question the lengths I will go to keep you safe." Alaric concluded softly, walking towards me as he spoke so fluently and capturing me under his spell, making me look into his eyes and get lost in them, entirely under his control. It was hard to stay mad at him when he would always reference my safety, how much I mean to him and my wellbeing, its what I dream about so I could never stay mad at him for that, only fall for him harder.

Alaric was pressed right against me, towering over my head and holding my shoulders in his hands firmly, retaining that control effortlessly. Lifting his finger under my chin, Alaric raided my head so I was facing up at him, inches apart with Alaric kissing my cheek and jaw gently, making the butterflies flutter in my tummy.

"You are mine angel, nobody will ever take you away from me," Alaric said against my ear, making my body tingle whenever he does that, the foreign emotion coursing through me and leaving me breathless.

"Let's go back inside, I don't want you out here any longer," Alaric said sternly, taking my hand and guiding me back home with no room for argument, not that I would oppose his case as I was still in a dreamlike state, hypnotized by his piercing eyes and dominance over me.

Now that my brain had decided to return to me, I remembered the sole reason for me being with Jessie in the first place, shielding me away from Alaric's father. Glancing around the living room and trying to pick up any noises around the house, it seems as though Kane had gone and we were alone once again.

"Alaric, please explain to me what happened here? Why you needed to get rid of me so quick?" I asked timidly, looking up at my mate and watching his face contort back to anger and irritation at the subject. I probably shouldn't bring it up so soon, but I am dying to find out, tired of being left out and ten steps behind everybody.