Chapter 42

Willow's POV 

My mind was a warzone right now, demons of all shapes and sizes running towards me with hurtful words as sharp as razor blades slicing through my inner strength, trying to break me down like I was at my lowest.

Phrases and words my parents have spat at me before have risen to the surface of my mind, after so much training and strength I have practised to suppress it right down to a far corner of my mind. Yet, one look at that belt shattered all those barriers in one instant bang, sending my mind into darkness so thick it's unbearable, rendering me paralysed on the inside out.

I feel the space around my physical form but can't bring myself to open my eyes and see the real world behind them. After my blackout, I remember strong arms winding around my waist and lifting me high in the air, as though I was flying. Then the next thing I remember was feeling the warm thick sheets from our bed, engulf my body and wrapped around me tightly, pulling me further into its little cocoon of safety from the real war on our doorstep.

That is as far as I know about my physical form, I could be shipped off to Mexico for all I know, but my brain won't let me open my eyes and see everything for myself, it wants me to reside in my head and get lost in the abyss, a dark pit of despair with it calling my name like a chant.

Yet, this time didn't feel like the last when I was back at my childhood home; the agony in my heart didn't feel as overwhelming, the mental torture wasn't as consuming, and my mind wasn't as captive as it once was.

However long I've been in this state, my darkness isn't strong enough this time to overcome the love I feel for my soulmate, Alaric.

That is something the demons can't take away from me, and they know that I won't let them, and that is what's keeping me from falling into its trap.

It can destroy my self-worth, it can chip away at my confidence, but under zero circumstances can it touch the love I feel for Alaric, I won't let get to that.

That's the single thread of hope that's getting me out of here.

I can see it in my mind now, among all the demons running around and slamming into my body one by one; I see a long white pristine rope dangling from the misty clouds above me.

It's calling out for me, practically screaming for my hand to grab on.

It's edging towards me slowly, but I could hardly stand, the black ghostly figures are clinging onto my back, their grip tight and restricting my movement, scratching me and causing me to cry out in pain.

I wish Alaric could be with me now, sliding down the rope and ripping these demons off me, but I know this is something I have to do on my own, my own strength is what will get me out of here, and I need to try, for him, I will try.

Gulping down every ounce of fear I possibly could, I decided to face my fears head-on, it was the only plan I knew that could get me out.

Closing my eyes tight for a single moment, I turned my body around to see what was tugging me back, and to my surprise, this black demon had a face.

Standing tall in front of my being was my father with the smuggest grin adorning his aged face and his signature belt clasped in his right hand, soaked in blood, my blood.

My father grew in height and towered over my body; it was my biggest nightmare come to life, and my strength was fading as I cast my eyes up every inch of him.

He isn't real.

My expression contorted to one of pain and fear, and it seemed that my father feeds off that, smirking down at me as he flexed the belt in his hands, ready to strike me at any moment.