Chapter 27

Alaric's POV 

"Ah, my favourite son, a pleasure to see you tonight." Kane cheered as he entered the front door, throwing his coat over the coach and approaching me with his hand extended, making me want to spit at it but reframe and shake it, using every ounce of strength not to snap his wrist and crush his hand, his dirty bloody hands.

"I'm your only son," I grumbled with a tight fake smile, already done with this evening reunion. I wanted nothing more than to toss my mate over my shoulder and lock ourselves in our bedroom, cuddling my precious angel for as long as I can.

"Well I know if I had another son, you'd still be my favourite," Kane replies, an overly exaggerated smile but a sternness in his voice that I never failed to miss, I was getting on his nerves already which was fantastic.

"And there's the little Luna, so tiny and shy." Kane turned from me and glanced down at my mate tucked into my side, beaming at her like a golden prize.

Willow smiled politely and went to shake his hand as I did, only my father pushed her hand back down to her side and yanked her into a hug instead, making my eyes turn black with fury and Jake growling in my head.

"So lovely to see you again, Willow." Kane murmured against my angel's shoulder. I instantly felt Willow's unease and nerves flow through our link like tidal waves, hitting me over and over again with more nerves, and I was moments away from snapping my father's neck.

Grasping Willow's shoulders with my clenched fists, I removed her from my brave father and pulled her back to my chest, my arms caging her to me.

"That's enough, father." I spat. I was shaking with anger, and the only thing stopping me from shifting was my little angel holding my arms to her, soothing my fury.

"I'm just so surprised to see a young girl in my boy's arms, a sight I never thought I'd see. A human girl as well, so very rare and fragile, like a little china doll." My father muttered to himself, scratching his chin and looking at my mate with a scrutinising gaze, looking as though he was trying to work her out like a puzzle.

"Where are your so-called business guests with all the knowledge?" I asked, changing the subject with disdain, not wanting to expose my angel to more people that she might not be able to handle.

"Ah my guests are running a little late, work commitments took longer than expected, working hard is something you can ask them about son, I'm sure they will give you some tips," Kane said with a smile, a smile so fake it had my teeth grinding, knowing he's trying to irritate me on purpose. However, what the b*stard didn't realise was how much Willow can alter my mood, just her presence in the room will have Jake bowed down to the ground and my fists staying right by my side, never acting on my anger in front of my mate, something my father would never understand.

"Right son, we have much to discuss!" Kane exclaimed while striding towards the dining room, pulling out the chair at the head of the table, making the vein in the side of my head pop with stress, that was Willow's seat.

Reluctantly, we joined my father at the dinner table. I pulled out a cushioned seat for Willow, making sure she is comfortable while I have to sit opposite her instead of beside her, infuriating me but I bury my frustrations as deep as I can, he won't be here for long.

I couldn't lose my composure, because the second I do, my father wins.

"Son she has legs, let her sit down on her own." My father said condescendingly, rolling his eyes at me and taping his fork on the table impatiently.

"Don't you dare tell me how to treat my mate. If I want to help her sit down, then I goddamn can." I roared, losing my control bit by bit. My father has zero right to tell me how to treat my mate; he isn't exactly a role model for it and an utter disgrace to the Moon Goddess, who does he think he is?