Chapter 35

"Gracie! Take Willow down the panic room now!" Jessie boomed, throwing the tray of cakes aside with no remorse and sprinting to the back door we came through, bolting it shut with three metal locks. 

"Well, what about you, Jessie? Come with us!" Gracie screamed in panic, holding my upper arm in her grip and looking around frantically for the unknown threat.

"I need to shut all the doors and windows; there's little time, now run!" Jessie roared, looking like a warrior princess as she slammed shut the windows effortlessly and secured the building, leaving Gracie a nervous wreck standing as still as a statue, while I was tipping on the verge of a full nervous breakdown, wanting to find Alaric and feel the blanket of safety he always provides me.

"Why are you bothering with that?" Gracie asked with a shaky voice, scrutinising Jessie as she bounced along the couch cushions to close the upper windows.

Time was ticking by quickly, yet we remained still, not moving an inch to safety. My mind was screaming to run; only Gracie's hard grip prevented that from happening.

Gracie kept firing question after question, and from past experience, questions in high-pressure situations get you nowhere or even killed, its best to go on your inner instinct and judgment.

If my past taught me anything, it was never to stick around for the demons to come, run while you still have the chance.

"They will catch her human scent if the windows are open. Enough talking, GO!"

And with that final roar of command from Jessie, Gracie clung onto my arm tighter and bolted like a cheetah, running with speed my little legs could hardly catch up with and tripped up countlessly trying to match her pace.

"Don't worry Luna; we are almost there." Gracie tried consoling me, keeping her eyes ahead with doubt and worry swirling in her baby blue eyes.

The nervousness was creeping up my throat and about to cut me off when I looked up to Gracie and tried focusing solely on her, the only thing I could think of from succumbing to the panic expanding in my chest, providing me with a distraction.

Her wild blonde locks swayed in the wind as she ran for her life, her hair was dancing, and her cirls shimmered in the light, making me in awe of her cute innocent features. Her plump pink lips were parted and heaving in oxygen, whilst her eyes darted back and forth around us, searching for any threats in our path.

She looked too childlike and sweet to be involved in an attack with ravenous wolves. Still, wolves are always deceiving to the human eye, they may look normal and average in their human form, but they hide the strong wolf scratching at their surface, a killing predator at the top of the chain.

Her grip on my arm significantly tightened, and the panic came soaring to the surface that I somehow repressed, bringing back painful memories as I looked down at her hand, squeezing me as if I would disappear and evaporate, only I was, but not in the physical sense.

After stumbling down endless flights of stairs, Gracie's laboured breathing starting to fade with many more voices approaching louder each step we took. We encountered two large steel doors with two guards holding them securely, their faces emotionless with the job but morphed into panic as they looked down at us, holding their gaze on my hunched shaking body, staring at their feet in fear with my mind occupied in a dark corner of my mind.

"Where the hell have you been Gracie?! Luna should've been the first one in here; we just released a search crew for her!" The taller warrior reprimanded Gracie, pointing an accusing finger towards her.

"We were right at the other end of the house; I got her here as quick as I could." Gracie defended, never loosening her grip on my arm, which was all my mind could think about.