Chapter 25

Loud banging sounded at the front door and had me choking on my hot cup of tea, gasping on the scolding liquid and hunched over the counter. Alaric turned around from the kitchen counter in an instant, an animalistic growl left his lips and he ran towards me, patting my back and rubbing soothing circles, effectively calming me down. 

"I going to kill whoever's at that damn door." Alaric seethed, checking my face over and a short sigh of relief left his lips, knowing I was going to be alright.

"Go see them it might be important," I said, looking up at him with a shaky smile to try and convince him I'm fine, no need to call in the endless doctors I know he has on speed dial for me.

"I won't until I know you're fine." He said, checking me over one last time and kissing my throat, making me feel much better. Smiling down at me in content, he excuses himself to see who was at the door, making me a little nervous at who it could be, still experiencing that burning anxiety consume me at the thought of strangers, their unpredictability has me on constant edge.

Now knowing how to use these utensils properly thanks to Alaric, I dug into my cereal and sipped on my tea, loving the taste and warmth of the drink.

From a distance, I could hear some bickering, but I didn't want to overstep Alaric's boundaries, if I needed to know he will tell me in a little while. Still, it concerned me as I ate each spoonful of the sugary goodness, conflicted on whether to check on my mate or consume myself back into my food, selfishly I chose the latter.

Hearing the door slam shut and multiple footsteps creak on the floorboards, I could tell whoever was at the door had entered, making me shrink back a little in fright, just focusing on my food and not choking again, not wanting to draw attention to myself.

"Cheerios! My favourite, you have great taste, Luna."

Turning around in my seat in surprise, I met the blue eyes of Caleb leaning against the fridge and smiling at me warmly, making me feel less intimidated by his rigid stance and multiple scars flexing on his folded arms.

At least I had seen Caleb before, even though our greeting was very clipped and brief, I knew he was friends with Alaric, and I could trust him.

Lowering my spoon and wiping my mouth, I smiled politely and waved my hand, the only method of greeting I could express to someone.

"I've been waiting to meet the girl that turned my Alpha soft; you really are as adorable as Jessie says you are." Caleb chuckled amusingly, walking over and ruffling my hair, making me giggle at his sudden playfulness that I was not expecting due to his rugged appearance.

Leaning over the counter and grabbing my annoying notepad, I ripped out the many sheets of paper I have used to communicate with Alaric, Jessie and the doctors, forming a massive pile on the table as I find a new page to talk to Caleb.

"Damn Luna, this must get irritating. I wish I could take this all away for you and give you some normality, but fate works in strange ways." Caleb walked over and slung his arm around the back of my chair, looking down at my notepad as I finally found a blank page to write.

"It's so good to meet you, Caleb. Don't feel sorry for something uncontrollable, but your words mean a lot to me. Hope Jessie hasn't been going around the pack saying I'm adorable to people, was hoping she would come up with a better word like 'Strong' or 'Buff' not adorable. Also, I'm obsessed with these Cheerios Alaric's been giving me; they taste so good!" I wrote, trying to cover all his points and add a little humour to brighten the mood, it seemed to work as Caleb doubled over in laughter when he read my chosen adjectives, seemingly not agreeing with me.