Chapter 38

"Why have you brought her here?" 

The question among many I was dreading as we sat silently in Alaric's spacious office, sat around his desk in a makeshift circle with Alaric sitting proudly in the head seat, slouched behind the desk with me sitting across his lap, silently begging for the ground to swallow me up.

I stressed to Alaric on the walk to his office how awkward it will make the meeting with me on his lap. Yet, he simply looked down upon me wrapped around his waist and shrugged nonchalantly.

"The Luna's seat is always on her Alpha's lap, equal on the same chair,"

Alaric spoke calmly as if it was fact, but I wasn't so sure.

"Her is your Luna, and you address her with respect Gabe, just like you would with me. I don't believe I owe you a reason, but if you desperately want to know, we've just had an attack on our land and those rogues charged straight at our home, not the packhouse, our home. If you think I'm leaving my mate alone after being targets of an attack, then I'm sorry to inform you that I can demote you of your position to clearing the sh*t down in the cells, do you want that Gabe?" Alaric held no ounce of remorse or mercy in his speech, hounding the scrawny warrior sinking further into his chair, looking up with his confidence wavering and his embarrassment enflamed upon his cheeks, heating up the room.

The other men in the room snickered in Gabe's direction, obviously well aware of Alaric's possessive tendencies and short temper.

Gabe shook his head immediately and bowed his head in defeat.

"Thought so." Alaric seethed with a dangerously low tone, making me shrink into myself as Gabe did, hating the tense atmosphere in the room and the meeting had only just begun.

We were off to a great start.

As I processed Alaric's earlier words, the slim information that was brushed over by all the anger, I gasped lowly at the idea of murderous wolves attacking Alaric's house, the very place my life restarted for the better.

Alaric's head turned to me and held my hand in his, rubbing encouraging circles to calm my nerves. But it still didn't sit right with me that both of us could've been in that house, oblivious to the evil charging towards us with the intention to kill, the thought alone made my stance rigid and upright, my body not allowing me to relax after this.

"Caleb give me a detailed account of exactly what happened, as you were the first on the scene," Alaric commanded, slipping back into his Alpha mode.

"A few other wolves and I were patrolling the north side of the pack, walking along the border in our human forms within a few minutes of your house. The forset around us went still all of a sudden, which caught our attention. Seconds later, this small army of around thirty rogues came charging towards us and attacked without a second thought. I believe it was for the sole reason to kill, no hesitation or will to communicate with us happened whatsoever, and they knew they caught us off guard. I called for back up and we killed the majority of the wolves, detaining a few, and they now remain in the cells for questioning." Caleb transcribed the events churning in his mind, reliving the moment and closing his eyes as he focused, everyone in the room was silent and watching Caleb as he spoke, fixated on his words and drifting off in their own reflections, reliving the memories they unfortunately bare.

I sat unnaturally still and short of breath, watching Caleb recall the events that made my blood run cold at how quick an attack like this could happen.

A few minutes.

Mere minutes between life and death.

The familiar subject sent a cold chill down my spine, and I held back the emotion creeping it's way to the surface, threatening to break me apart.