Chapter 24

Lightning striking the earth and bright white flashes awoke me from my sleep, my eyes blinking open, and an annoyed groan left my lips. Rubbing my eyes with my firsts and looking towards the window, the curtains danced frantically at the wind passing through the small gap in the open window. Mentally cursing myself for forgetting to close it, I slipped cautiously out of bed and tiptoed to the window, closing it with stealthy movements to try not to wake up my sleeping mate not three steps behind me. 

Looking back at my handsome mate, I admired his sleepy face sunk into the pillow, his chest bare and looking peaceful and relaxed, just the way I like to see him. His left arm is outstretched on my side of the bed, the same arm that rests under my neck and cushions me at night, making me feel warm and safe.

The sleeping arrangements between us was a rocky conversation. Initially, I insisted on sleeping in separate rooms when I first settled in our home, finding that to be appropriate for us considering we were just getting to know each other and I was still unsure about Alaric back then. However, that soon changed when I would stir in the middle of the night to my bed sinking a little behind me, revealing a troubled looking Alaric, climbing into my bed and wrapping his arms around me while he was still asleep, I thought it was far too adorable not to scold him about it, so I let it slide. Eventually, Alaric climbed into my bed enough times for me to break down and agree to move into his room, and I have no regrets so far.

Peering out the window, I watched the downpour of rain patter down into the trees surrounding our house and the lightning flash with a powerful grumble moments later, making a smile appear on my lips.

I loved watching the rain, listening to the sounds it made and the refreshing smell it leaves, it is very therapeutic for me.

As our room was situated on the second floor of the house, I could see far into the distance out the window, looking at the buildings and training grounds of the pack's property and the famous pack house that I have yet to visit.

Looking around at the property, I saw a fair number of people walking around, mostly warriors patrolling with bunched fists and hard expressions, making a shiver run down my spine at their intimidation. A small group of wolves were resting near the trees and kneeling on their paws, sleeping with one eye open.

Considering it was the middle of the night, the pack grounds were surprisingly populated, people walking around and meeting up with people as if it was lunchtime on a sunny day.

Out of all the people walking around outside and patrolling, I only recognised two people out of the crowd, Kai and Caleb.

Caleb was mingling with two other intimidating warriors, pointing around and looking as though he was making demands and order, a natural-born leader. On the other side of the land where I had never been before, Kai stood tall with a small woman beside him and gesturing to the woods around them, looking a though they were in a deep conversation.

"Baby come back to me." I heard a sleepy voice murmur behind me.

Turning away from the window, I looked over at Alaric rubbing the side of his face and holding his hand out in my direction, inviting me back to bed. Nodding my head with a tired smile, I climbed back under the sheet, and Alaric wasted no time in wrapping his arms back around me, caging me to his chest with my head under his chin, holding me completely into him with no escape.

"Why did you leave me?" Alaric whispered against my forehead.

"The rain and lightning woke me up, and I wanted to look outside, I'm sorry for waking you," I apologised in my mind, my hands nestled against his chest and making a deep blush form on my checks, feeling shy at this close contact.