Far From Over

-From your POV-

Apartments and listings??

Was he going to kick me out? What the hell. He just completely blindsided me. I could feel myself getting angry, but I quickly controlled it. I don't have the time or energy to get pissed off this morning. My anger starts to blend into disappointment, but I quickly muffle it. Logic logic logic. Think logically, Y/n. I take in a deep breath and shake it off. J's face looks like he just fucked up bit time. And quite frankly, he did. He lets out a low sigh. "Yes, I had him searching for... alternative... housing options, for you." he says hesitantly. "But doll, it's not that I don't love having you here, it's quite the opposite. But now, I think that was a stupid plan and I would love if you stayed he-" before he could finish, I cut him off.

"Actually, being away from here and from you, that might be best." I say. I can feel a small groggy lump forming in the back of my throat but I swallow to ignore it. I can feel almost a sinking pain in my chest. Half of me knows that I need to get out of this damn house and away from Joker, but the other half doesn't want to leave. But the brain is always stronger than the heart. There's almost a saddened look in his eyes as he takes in my words.

"If that's," his shoulders tense up and he moves his eyes down away from mine before moving them back to mind. "If that's what you want, I'll have it arranged." it goes quiet. "Is that what you want?" he asks me in a deep and serious tone. No 'doll', attached? It's always 'doll want this' or 'whatever you want, doll'. But this time, nothing.

"No, it's not what I want. It's what we need." I say gravely. His eyes sink a little more before he readjusts his posture.

"Right. Scott, give her the list and let her pick whatever she wants. I'll have all the expenses covered. Any amenities, upgrades, appliances, furniture, staff, whatever you want, it's covered." he says. I would reject his offer, but I know that would only throw salt in the wound. I just nod and give him a small smile to try and comfort him. "And Scott, I need an armored vehicle, three men suited up, and a suit for Y/n in an hour." he tells Scott. Scott nods and quickly leaves the room. I sit and stare at the paper with high-end properties listed in my hands. J speaks, snapping my gaze off the listings.

"I didn't mean for you to find out like this." he says. I look at him.

"It's alright, J. You and I both know...." I trail off before I can spit it out. "You and I both know that we're never going to get a happy ending." I mutter out.

" Ending? We barely have even had a start, doll." he reasons with me.

"J...."

"Doll..."

"I.. We.... We will be the death of each other if we don't stop ourselves." I explain.

"I hate that you're right." he mumbles. I look at the ground before standing up.

"I'll see you at the club tonight, for business." I say as I grab the listings and then walk towards the door. "J, you're special to me. Thank you, for everything." I say to him before I leave, closing the door behind me. I was being honest. He was special to me and I really was thankful for everything he did for me.

I sat down on a chair in my room and began looking through the listings. All of the properties were extremely high end. It was a mix between penthouses, mansions, and ranches. A penthouse was definitely my style, except I didn't want to be around other people and a penthouse implies an apartment complex. Then again, knowing J, he'd just buy out the entire building and let me have it to myself. But a giant tower all for myself? Sticks out too much; don't need the feds or Batboy poking around.

A mansion: classic. Pretty big if I was going to have it all to myself and maybe a few staffers.

A ranch: blended in more. Well... I flipped through the pages, looking at pictures of them. One had an olympic sized pool and a hot tub in the backyard. It also had a fully decked out patio and balcony with torches and a fire-pit. Off the backyard was a giant fenced in pasture with stables, meaning I could get horses. The house itself was nice. It wasn't quite a mansion, but it was still 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms, which was plenty for the amount of people that would be there.

A ranch it is.

It was kind of perfect, really. Nobody suspects an escaped assassin to be peacefully living on the outskirts of the city, riding horses and swimming around. I circled the one in a red pen and then I heard a knock on my door. I looked over to see J standing in the doorway. "It's all ready. They're downstairs waiting for you." he said. I smiled and stood up, setting the papers down on my chair.

I walked over to face him, just looking in his eyes. "See you." I say. He just nods slightly, and I make my way out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-From Joker's POV-

I saw her set down the paper on the chair, so when she made it down the hallway, I walked over and picked it up to find which one she had circled. A ranch? Hm. Always saw her as more of a penthouse woman. I pulled my phone out and took a picture of the listing details before setting the paper back down and leaving her room.

Quite frankly, I regretted it all. I wish I had never asked Scott to find somewhere for her to stay. I wish I could've just shut up. I wish I didn't set Bones up. I wish I could take it all back. Part of me got hurt and angry when she wanted to leave. But then I realized, she doesn't want to, she needs to. And it's selfish of me to try and keep her here; selfish. I was selfish. Another reason why I was bad for her and why we would never work out.

She was right. People like us never have happy endings. We would never get a happy ending. Both of us knew that, yet we didn't care. We were selfish and wanted whatever impulse came at the moment.

Oh doll. Something in my stomach tells me that we're far from over.