Scaredy Cat

-From Joker's POV-

We sat at the dinner table, Y/n happily eating away at her plate and I trying to find a comfortable position to sit in that doesn't involve the waistband of my pants rubbing against the sore skin. At one point, Y/n looked up at me with a furrowed brow. "You okay?" she asks. I grit my teeth together and nod, picking up my fork. She just keeps staring and then shrugs before focusing back on her plate. The truth was the skin was tender as hell, but I would never admit that to anyone let alone Y/n. I begin slowly eating, trying to ignore the pain, when Y/n shifted in her seat and got my attention. She sat back, resting a hand on the able, and looking at me like she was trying to figure something out. "What do you tell people I am?" she asks me. I tilt my head.

"What ever do you mean, doll face?" she rolls her eyes.

"You know exactly what I mean." she says. And I did.Not even with Harley did I tell people she was my 'girlfriend', I just said she was mine. But with Y/n, I knew she would laugh at me claiming her like a dog. But at the same time, Y/n had told me expressly she was never one for relationships, and I was never one for lo- liking someone this much. Not even Harley. And I hated how often I compared her to Harley, I really did, but what else was I to compare it too?

"Well," I say, taking in a deep breath and lightly tensing up. "What do you want me to call you, doll face?" I ask her. She smiles widely and thinks for a minute.

"Your boss." she said with a cackle. This bitch cannot be serious.

"Come again?"

"I said what I said." she says back proudly. I set my fork down and fold my hands, fingers linked together, and sit back in my chair to size her up.

"My boss?"

"Mhmmm." she hums out.

"Doll, I'm the Joker. The point is that I have no boss." I explain to her. She giggles and pops half of a dinner roll in her mouth. She looks like she's about to start talking, but then she just started laughing again, almost uncontrollably.

"And sweets, I'm... well, I'm me!" she giggles out.

"And you want us to be known as Joker and his boss in a non-romantic way?" I ask her in confusion. She raised her eyebrows and laughed even harder.

"Oh romantically huh??" she questions. "I didn't take you for the type to be a romantic nor did I think that you would want people to know that we're together." she says. Something about her words feel like she's just stabbed me- again. But this time not in the hand, in the chest, over and over and over again.

"What?" I can feel myself starting to tense up and get defensive.

"What?? It's not like you've given me any reason to find you romantic. I mean, to be honest, you kind of lack commitment to me. It's almost like you're scared or something." she taunts on. Oh. NOW I see what game you're playing, doll.

"You think I'm afraid of commitment to you??" I ask.

"I do." she says and then smiles widely. "Two words you would never say." she teases. My brow raises up.

"Doll, are you testing me?" I ask. She shrugs playfully and then waves over a staffer who takes her plate to the kitchen. She rolls her tongue over her teeth and comes to her feet.

"Am I?" she says suggestively as she lingers out of the dining room, leaving me alone in the room, basking in my own thoughts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-From your POV-

What I never remembered to tell J was that I hit my head at one point during the night we ran into the Bat. I hit it quite hard, actually. I think I had a concussion but more than that, I started thinking differently. If you had asked me before then if I wanted J to actually commit to me, I'd laugh and ask you 'why would I?'. But something recently made me want that security net with him, and I couldn't put my finger on it and it was nagging at me.

I peeled off the nightgown I was wearing as I saw clouds of steam roll out from atop the shower curtains where the hissing sound of the shower water was coming from. I lightly pushed the curtain aside and stepped in. The hot water was rolling off my skin and it honestly felt refreshing. My eyes were closed and I was humming to myself when I heard something. I stopped humming and opened my eyes to peek around the corner of the curtain. I saw a flash of green hair and examined as J stood in the mirror, looking at his new tattoo with intense and deep eyes that were focused. It's almost as if he didn't catch the hint that his girlfriend- or at least the girl he sleeps with- is literally inches away from him and naked in the shower. I smile and giggle. "Like it, don't ya?" I say jokingly. He just looks at me with the same hard gaze he had just moments before.

"Mhm." he hums out emotionlessly. I roll my eyes and pull my head back into the shower.

"For someone who seems horny at all the inappropriate times I'd expect you to be more tickled by the fact that I'm in the shower right now. I mean I'm practically inviting you in." I say from behind the curtain, scrubbing my scalp with shampoo. I don't hear anything and then I hear the curtain slide open and feel cold air hit my back.

"Doll, you really ought to know better about testing me." J growls from behind me. I smile to myself as I hear him step into the shower behind me and then feel the warm air cover my body again as I hear the shower curtain glide shut. I've done it now this time, haven't I?

NEXT UPDATE AT 85 VOTES