CHAPTER 8

I was halfway into the trip to Sonoma. It's 10 PM. "Guys, you tired?" I asked. "Kinda. Let's go for a stop," Shizaki suggested. We headed for a rest stop and rested our cars, then rested on the small motel there.

In the meantime...

"We're heading to Sonoma right?" One asked. "Yeah, that's where they're gonna be next." The other responded. "Hey hey. Look over there, their cars!" One pointed. The crimson Evo X stopped. "Looks like they're trying to stop here," One predicted. "I have an idea to slow them down, give me the tools," He requested. He approached the Clio and unscrewed the oil reserve, leaking all the oil out. When they're in the action to do the same to the other cars, a local caught them and they left immediately, leaving only the Clio sabotaged.

The next morning, the crew prepared to head out to continue their journey. I turned on the Clio. I see the check engine light on. "Huh, why is it on? Probably because of the upgrades Maya installed. Oh well," I ignored the warning.

A quarter had traversed. I was streaming on a tollway. It was fun and games, until Brgrgrgrgrg! Grgrgrgrg! Grgrg. Grgrg.... Progressively my speed was lowered. "COME ON!" I mashed the gas pedal over and over. Nothing happened. I swung to the emergency lane to check what happened.

The crew also stopped by. I opened the hood and smoke came out, then flames. "What the hell?!" I exclaimed in confusion. "Try calling Maya, see if she can help." Shizaki suggested. I gave her a call. "Um hey, Maya, do you know why my engine just stopped and smoked up suddenly?" I asked. "Is there any engine check lights before?" She asked. "Yeah, is that because of your upgrades?" I asked. "I assure you not. Have you changed your oil recently?" She interrogated. "Oil?" I stared at the lighting engine logo. "Ouch," I rued. "Ah. Haha. Only a week and it's dead already," My eyes twitched.

"But something's not right though. I've just changed your oil when its in my shop, something really not right.." Maya gave it more thought. "Tow it to Sonoma, I'll be already waiting there when you guys arrived." She said. We asked for a tow truck and towed my Renault the rest of the journey. We then took the Renault to Maya and she checked it. "Umm, oil reserve screw is missing, you've been driving with no oil." She finished her inspection.

"Ai! How?" My sights popped out. "Last race wasn't chaotic at all," I assured Maya it wasn't my fault. "I can use my hamon to fix small stuff. Unfortunately, your engine is a BIG stuff," She pitied, "Which means this car is unusable. I need DAYS to repair this".

"Seems your car can't compete in this race. Well seeing that it's a small hatchback and this is a drag event, it maybe can't compete in general." Maya explained. "So, does it mean i can't race?" I wondered. "You need to get a spare car while i fix up your car." She said.

A female voice came out, "I do ready to give my car". My neck pivoted to the left, "Aya? you sure? I play rough in terms of racing". Her head nodded, "I do feel okay. I do have interest only in photographing your moments. That's the reason I did desire joining you". "Thanks, Aya!" I shoved her dress pocket and pulled the key out. "Hey!" She slapped my humerus.

"This Peugeot of yours is already a beast on its own! It doesn't need anymore tuning! Insane acceleration, perfect!" I described. "Well, since it's only racing in a straight line, what could possibly go wrong?" Aya said. "You want me to change the tires?" Maya offered. "Yes please."

Maya then changed my tires into drag slicks. Then we heard a voice. "Welcome all to the Infineon Drag Racing tournament, all participants please register." The Announcer said. I then registered myself, along with Shizaki, with his big muscle Plymouth. "Joseph Joestar with the Peugeot 208 T16 and Shizaki with the Plymouth Hemi Cuda?" The secretary confirmed. "Yep." We confirmed. "Alright, we will call you when it's your turn to race."