CHAPTER 14

A long, dry asphalt between a deserted area filled with people. Man-made barricade protected some parts on the long road. Few curvy turns, but due to majority of long straights, those things became a quite deadly deathtrap for unaware speedsters. 'Quite' as these poor people might get saved by vast arid, thus saving the car and the soul. Alright, enough describing these stuff.

Last event finalists positioned themselves right behind the starting line, followed by the invited crew Bushido, and... Where were those chaps?

Suddenly, a loud, blaring engines resonated from behind. Soundwaves came closer, and closer, and closer.

"Ah, yes! Showdown Kings have got out from their throne and fully prepared for the war against these knights".

I could their their inline-four engines blasting quickly, and srrrrr! Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X and Nissan 240SX stopped right behind Eirine's RX-8 and Hana's 350 IS.

"Can these little knights conquer the Nevada Highway and take these Kings' honor?"

"Just like we always rolled. Remember the 3 city race in Japan? Same deal. Just focus." Shizaki motivated. Our engines are blaring and revving. My growling turbo V6 and Eirine's screaming 3 rotor rotary filled the air, alongside the revs of other cars.

 My growling turbo V6 and Eirine's screaming 3 rotor rotary filled the air, alongside the revs of other cars

Speakers between the path spoke, "Okay. So we're having Top Speed Challenge. In this 24 kilometres highway, there will be a speed camera every 4 kilometres. The goal is to set the highest top speed possible by passing through these detectors. The person with the most top speed collectively dominates the race. Okay, without further ado, let's start the battle in..."

A cute woman with "Super Promotion" on her covered yellow and orange two-piece walked to the starting line, then stood, raised her hand, and spun it around.

Later, she bowed like a Victorian lady.

"AAAAAND GOOOOOO!" The announcer screamed as loud as a heavy metal vocalist as all automobiles made the lady ate their dusts.

The two kings immediately battle for first position, trying to get in front from the start. The Lancer with it's AWD passed me and a couple other racers with its acceleration. Eirine revved up her screaming rotary to it's limits. Shizaki's pushing his mean V8 to the brim. I'm pushing my turbo V6, can the Alfa take it home? I successfully passed 2 other racers by the 3rd turn.

"Jojo, Ryan Cooper had reached the 2nd speed camera, and he's now in 1st place, with 565 km/h total," Ken updated.

Ryan Cooper? Gosh! I totally forgot about that guy.

I squinted my eyes. Behind my window, I spotted a cactus-like color covered by smoke. It turned out to be Ryan Cooper's 240SX.

I was a bit panicked, "How did he get there?"

Ken replied with questions on his head, "I don't know, Jojo. It seems that his car color is  similar with this track's environment".

Goodness! What a well-trained private.