19. An Early Christmas

It was a a little more than a week before Christmas.
"Well done Ginny! Maybe you could duel me sometime. I think you might just beat me!" Astrid told her.
"I reckon not but maybe I'll try!"
Dumbledore's army was doing well. They had been successfully sneaking in and out of their HQ without getting caught.
Fred and George has done a wonderful job at making diversions but the same products they used were now banned by umbridge.
Astrid had gotten close with the twins. They had reached to a certain level of friendship after they found out that she was the one who climbed down the Ravenclaw tower.

George hadn't given up on asking Astrid out but she only tried to distance herself further on those days.
She was scared of getting too attached and being even more torn once they found out.
"Astrid" George called out. She turned around to see a smile on his face. He pointed up to show her the mistletoe that was charmed above their heads.
"Really George!?" Astrid laughed at him as she walked away.
Another few days went by but the Mistletoe never did. Astrid found is funny but also flattering. Her cheeks always threatened to redden at the sight of the boy smiling.

It was only a week before Christmas and Astrid's blood was boiling. She knew the Weasleys were going to be there and there was no way she could avoid them.
It was difficult for her to go to sleep that night.
Astrid stayed up thinking what she would tell Fred and George.

Noah on the other hand was more than happy with Fred. They hadn't disclosed anything to his twin or Astrid because he wasn't ready.
George knew that Fred was hiding something from him, but didn't question it. It seemed like everyone (*cough* Fred *cough* Astrid) was hiding something from him.

It was late at night when Astrid was awoken from her slumber by Professor McGonagall.
"Dumbledore's office, Now!" The teacher had told her.
Astrid put on a loose jumper over her pajamas and ran to the office.
She saw George, Fred, Ginny, Ron and Harry there all giving her a confused look.
"Astrid! Arthur Weasleys hurt, make sure he gets is tended to on top priority at St. Mungos. The order has been informed and his children will be Arriving soon!"
With a nod, Astrid stepped into the fireplace and flooed to St. Mungos.

Astrid was terrified. She didn't want anything to happen to that kind and caring father.
They had managed to carry Arthur Weasley to St. Mungos without apparition.
He was too weak for floo or Apparation.
He was covered in his own blood and too weak to talk.
"Molly and all your children are okay Mr. Weasley" Astrid told him with an empathetic smile. She knew he had that question lingering on his lips.

Hours went by and Astrid hadn't left her chair.
"He's fine. Don't worry, he'll be home in no time" the healer told her.
Astrid sighed in relief. She was so glad that Arthur was alright. She cared very deeply for the prewett and Weasley family.
Arthur and Molly had known her parents for Merlin knows how long and Molly's family had sheltered Alyssa Stonewall for too long.
Molly and Arthur had also supported her mother when Astrid's father had passed away.
"Astrid, how about I take you back to HQ?" Remus told her, gently placing his hand on her shoulder.
"No...I want to stay." She said firmly.
"Come on now, you need some rest"
"Someone's gotta be here!"
"I'll stay here" Remus explained.
"Well I will too!" Astrid refused to even stand up from her chair. After seeing Arthur in such a bad condition, she couldn't bring herself to leave him alone and injured.
Remus gave up on convincing the girl and sat down beside her. Tonks bid them both goodbye and apparated.
"You remind me of your father, I didn't know him that well, he was older and we only met in the order meetings, but he was just as stubborn as you." Remus chuckled.
A smile grew on the girls face.
"He would've also stayed with Arthur all night if he were here.."
"Fabian and Gideon Prewett were my godfathers. After their death, Molly and Arthur accepted the title pretty quickly. This is the least I could do. My mother kept me distant from them for so long but she didn't realize that they were more family to me than she ever was, even before I went into hiding in fifth year."
"Your mother was trying to protect you.."
Remus ruffled the girls hair and gave her an empathetic look.
The two talked the whole night which bonded them and also prevented them from falling asleep for the protection of Arthur Weasley.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning the Weasley children, including Harry and Hermione had visited their father.
They were quickly ushered in at once that none of them noticed Astrid curled up on a chair, sleeping deeply.
"Astrid.." Remus shook her awake.
The girl jumped from her place and gripped her wand pointing it at the person in front of her.
"Sorry, I thought.."
"It's alright. The weasleys are inside, we can go home once their done. Tonks and Molly will stay here today." Remus told her. "I'm leaving now, I'll see you at the HQ. I've got to meet Dumbledore" With those words, the former professor Apparated.
Astrid sat up on her chair, coming to her senses. When did she fall a sleep? She wondered.
A few seconds later, George walked out of the ward. Astrid stood back up, her mouth parted to say something, anything, but nothing came out.
The boy walked up to her and pulled her in a tight embrace.
"Thank you" he whispered to her. Astrid didn't let go for a while. She wanted to just melt into those arms but she stood strong on her feet.
"Well Remus helped too, and Tonks.."
"You stayed here all night for my father. I.."
"George. You don't need to thank me. He means as much to me as he does to you.." She told him but before he could ask for clarification, the other Weasleys along with Molly came out.
"Astrid! I'm so glad you're okay! Are you out of your mind!? Why didn't you let Remus handle it!?" Molly half scolded.
"I'm fine Mrs. Weasley!"
"This blood! Did you get hurt!?"
"No! That's not mine..I just didn't get a chance to wash up" Molly sighed in relief while examining the girls face and finally pulling her into a hug.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Weasleys were home along with Astrid. Grimmauld place has never felt livelier to the girl. It was only after dinner did she get some time to freshen up and calm her nerves.
She lied down on her bed thinking about the events that had taken place.
There was a knock. Astrid stood up and asked the person to come in.
"Is this an okay time?" George walked into the room.
"Of course George. I don't sleep this early anyways" she smiled at him.
"I was just so curious.i have so many questions but I can wait and give you time if you'd like.."
"Ah! The much dreaded questions" Astrid chuckled. It was time. She was ready to tell him a part of the story. Only a chapter though.
"You might want to sit down." She told him.

"How do you know my parents?" George asked as he sat down on the floor next to Astrid.
"Well, my mother was best friends with Fabian and Gideon Prewett which made us pretty close to your mum too. They were my god fathers. When they passed away, Molly and Arthur happily took the title. They did so much for me, I can't even thank them enough.."
"Wait...they are your godparents!?"
"Technically.."
"Doesn't that make us god-siblings!?" George stared at he in horror. Astrid gave him a disgusted look.
"No it doesn't George" she told him. "We're all related anyways, distantly. You know purebloods" She told him as they laughed.
"How'd mum take it when you joined the order? And why did they not let me!"
"Coz I'm older and smarter than you Georgie!" She sniggered.
"If my mum and dad are your godparents...how come I didn't know you earlier?"
There it was, the most dreaded question of them all. The truth she had been hiding for so long.
"Well..I'm not sure.." she said. George knew she was lying but he never pushed her to answer that question. He wondered a lot about it that night though.
They sat and talked for hours without even realizing.
It was past midnight and the two were laughing uncontrollably.
"I'm going to bed now...this was fun.." George stood there at the door of Astrid's room.
She stood there staring at him. Her cheeks were red, partly from laughing and partly from George Weasley. She felt liberated talking to him. She felt alive. She hadn't felt alive in so long. He made her genuinely happy.
"George.."
"Hmm?" He was standing there, on the other side of the doorframe.
"If you would like, you could go with me to hogsmeade sometime.." She didn't know why she said it and what came over her but she did know that she didn't have much time left and after almost seeing Arthur Weasley die, Astrid knew life was shorter than she thought and George made her her realize that she had to live in the moment.
He turned red and grinned from ear to ear.
"I'll think about it" He told her jokingly. She lightly shoved his arm.
"Astrid.." George looked above them. "Mistletoe" he breathed.
She leaned towards him, George a little taken aback but he stood there nonetheless. Her forehead was touching his. She could feel his warm breath ready to meet with hers. His heart was pounding like a drum and he wondered if she could here it. Her eyes was glistening and twinkling. His hands were shaking.
Only a few more centimeters but George couldn't bring himself to move further.
Only a few centimeters and Astrid was contemplating if she should or shouldn't move further.
"Not so fast Weasley" she whispered as she quickly pecked his cheek. The boy was shook but laughing.
"G'night George.." she smiled as she closed the door to her room.