12•Habu

Jiddah's POV

"Come here!" She yelled. I'm in trouble. I slowly moved to where she was standing, she looked serious and annoyed.

"Let me see your hand" she said dragging my palm.

"I don't know what is wrong with you girls of nowadays, just take a look at how you've ruined your life, as small as you are, you are pregnant, I suspected that since when you came, I don't need such employees in my restaurant, you can go, anyways you just started" She said while Fatima was just looking at me shocked and angry.

"Fatima I know you to be a good girl, where did you get such company from, better be careful" She added and left. I broke down in tears while everyone resumed their work, why is it that anytime I try to be strong something comes in between and ruin me.

"Jiddah?" Fatima called, "Fatimah I can explain" I sobbed. "So even the night I saw you, you were pregnant, so is that the reason why you left your village?, I thought you're a good girl"
"You have been of great help since I met you, you didn't know b hear my own side of the story" I cried.

"I'm sorry, get up, let's sit there" she said. I explained everything to her and Fatima couldn't help but pity my situation, "Alot has happened to you Jiddah, my advice to you is to abort this pregnancy, raising an illegitimate child is very hard in our society, what will you tell the child when he/she grows and ask for his/her father?"

"I'm scared Fatima gaskia baxan iya ba" I've never thought of aborting this baby, it's my destiny and I accept it. "Faridah has done it 5 times and is still counting, nothing will happen, she'll take us to the doctor that do it for her" she persuaded. "Who will pay for it?" I asked not because I agreed but for her to leave the idea.

"It's just N40,000, I can borrow you, after that you can continue working, then pay me back" she said, "I'm not here to stay forever, when will I gather that huge amount. Instead of paying that much, why don't you give me a little money so I can go back home to my maternal Aunt" I said.

"If you say so, why not, how much will you need?" She asked, "Thank you so much, 3000 will be enough I think" I smiled. "Okay I'll give you 5000, you don't have to bother returninng it, I'm dashing you" she smiled opening her purse.

"Thank you so much Yar uwa, you're a blessing in my life" I hugged her. "First you'll go home, carry your bag and then take a keke to the car park, take a bus to Damgiri LGA, and then to Yan Kwaba" She explained.

"Wish you all the best, and I hope you do something good with your life, you're smart and beautiful, this kind of life is not for you" she said, "Thanks, Allah ya saka da alkhairi" I chuckled. She wrote her number in a paper and handed it to me.

"Let me get back to work, and as for Hajia, don't feel bad or take it personal, that's her rule, Bye" she hugged me. "Bye Fatima, thank you so much", I hugged her back.

I took a keke and went to her house to pack my things. "Sahibah, bye I'm going back home" I said after taking my leather bag. "Kice dama ba Bariki Kika zo ba, ko ta Fi qarfin ki ne?" She laughed.
"I didn't come here intentionally I got lost" I said and went out to find a taxi that will take me to the car park.

"Jiddah" I heard someone call my name, nobody knows me in this town, except for Fatima and her roommates.

I turned and saw Habu, it's Habu!. "Habu" I said curiously, I'm so happy to see habu. "Jiddah ce?" He asked shocked, "Eh..eh..ni ce, ni ce wallahi Habu" I cried.

"Come in let's talk" he said gesturing at his Tricycle. "Jiddah they have been searching for you in the village, Shafi'u told me when I called him yesterday, I'm surprised to see you here, what are you doing here?, Did you really run away??" He asked.

"Everyone knows I'm lost?" I asked, "Yes, and they are accusing your Kawu of your whereabout"he said. "He's responsible anyways" I cleaned my tears. "Now that I've seen you, I'll call Shafi'u and tell him" he brought out his phone.

"I dont want to go back to the village, I want to go to Yan Kwaba" I said, "Okay, but you have to go back to the village first. Why did you run away Jiddah, you should have reported your Kawu to the village chief" he asked concerned.

"I didn't come here intentionally, I wanted to go to Yan Kwaba but ended up here" I said, "Okay then let me take you to the car park, I have a friend who is going straight to the village" he said.

I'm not sure if I want to go back to the village, but since Habu has seen me, which I'm glad he did, I'll go along with his friend. Habu is the village town criers Son, he works in the town, we are not close friends just that we come from the same village.

He took me to the car park and the friend, after loading his passengers we took off.

Later in the evening, at the village.

He took me straight to the village chief's palace and to my great surprise I saw Kawu there. He shouted my name and roses to his feet furiously but the guards held him.

"Hauwa'u" the Maigari called, "Gaisuwa nake Maigari" I greeted with respect. "Ina Kika shiga?"(where have you been?) He asked.

I explained everything to him but didn't include the fact that I got raped or I'm pregnant, it's the most shameful thing one can utter in this village of ours, but if Kawu has already said it, fine, I'll consume the hatred and mockery.

"Jiddah" someone hugged me, it's Aunty Ai'nau. "Na'am Goggo" I sobbed, "Where did you go to Jiddah, kin Dani cikin damuwa" aunty Ai'nau asked. "Dama Zan so gurin ki ne shine na bata"(I got lost on my way to your place) I explained. "Allah sarki Jiddah" she hugged me again.

"Kuna iya tafiya gida" one of the Yan Fada spoke. "Godiya muke ranka shi dade" Aunty Ai'nau said with respect. We went home and I saw Jummai struggling to grind pepper. "Kiyi abu da jiki ko, it's getting late!" Inna knocked her, she's used to knocking people on the head.

"Ahh ahhh" Inna uttered shocked and then clapped her hands. "Jiddah, Ina Kika shiga, kin saka mu a damuwa" she cried and hugged me, what a hypocrite, I'm done living with you, I mean D-O-N-E!. "Let her bath and eat first" Aunty Ai'nau said,

I took my bath and after that ate tuwan gari and okra soup. "Jiddah did you see what you caused, Your uncle has been in the palace since you got lost, yanzu kin kyauta knan" Inna said angry.

"Marka please shut up" Aunty Ai'nau said furiously. "I'm taking Jiddah with me to Yan kwaba, her stay with you has ended, do Tuesday realise how you have destroyed the girls life, and you still have mouth to talk, if not for the dignity of Jiddah and the mentality of thime village people, I would have exposed you and your son, but behold it justice must take place, directly amor indirectly" I was impressed with my Goggo, I was happy someone stood up for me before Inna, I was happy I'm finally living this house.

How I wish this moment cane to me before I got raped and pregnant. "Jiddah kiyi haquri kinji, accept your faith my dear neice. I'll take care of you till you put to bed and you'll continue your study, as long as I'm alive, Jiddah you will become a Lawyer, Insha Allah" she hugged me.
What I was feeling was overload happiness.