20• First Day in Class

Jiddah's POV

       Two weeks passed by in a blink of an eye. I am fully settled in my new home  and ready to study, I have cleared my mind of my past and my toxic marriage, I need to stay strong for my self and my Daughter.

    Sometimes, I wonder what life has for me in the future but that's not going to be solved my too much thinking so I have made up my mind to concentrate on my studies and the upbringing of my daughter, the apple of my eyes. She is now used to me leaving her at home with Habibah and going for lectures.

    "Hauwa" I averted my gaze to where the sound is coming from, "Na'am" I smiled. "What are you doing here all alone" she asked, her name is Azeemah, she's the only one I talk to in our class, maybe because we met during registration. "Waiting for the next class to start obviously" I chuckled. "Okay oo"

    We talked a little before the class commenced, and after the lectures, we strolled to the main gate. "Are you living in the hostel?" I asked her, "Nope, Off campus" she winked. "Ohh," "Yeah, you?" "Same here" I said.

    "By the way, where do you live?" She asked, "I live in the Estate opposite murna supermarket"

   "Oh wow, my house is close to that place, I'll come visit you tomorrow" she said, "Okay sure, I'll appreciate it" I smiled. "Okay then bye" she waved her hand at me and left. I also took a Keke and went home.

   Maryam was fast asleep while Habibah was watching a hausa movie on the television. "Welcome" she said and tried to collect my hand bag. "Don't worry. Hope she didn't cry today?" I gestured at Maryam. "No oo she didn't" she grinned, "okay" I Said and left for my room. I collapsed on the bed right after I came in, I am so tired and exhausted. I dragged my self to the toilet and took a hot bath, after that I wore a loosed gown and went to the parlour.

    "Have you eaten?" I asked Habibah, "yes we ate indomie" she grinned, "Okay" I nodded and went to the kitchen. I fetched some of the jellof rice in the fridge and warmed it in the microwave. After heating it I went to the sitting room and joined Habibah.

    "Habibah get me my phone from the room" I said, it has been ringing since. "Okay" she said.

   Who could it be? I mentally asked myself and dialed the number. An unknown number called 6times. "Salama alekum!" I had to shift the phone from my ear.

"Wa'alaikumu Salam" I replied, Its kawu. "Do you recognize the voice?" He said with a high pitch. "Yes, Kawu Ina wuni" I said.

  "I'm fine, how are you and your husband?, How is my granddaughter?" He chuckled, your granddaughter indeed. "We are all fine Kawu" I said getting disgusted already. "Ever since you followed your Inna to the village, you stopped caring about me, and even now that you are married you never even cared to call and hear how are are doing. I am just like a father to you haba Hauwa'u" he nagged.

   "Toh kawu ayi haquri, ya mutan gida?"(Sorry kawu, how is everyone athome?) I asked. "We are all fine" he laughed. "Okay then, bye" I said.

  "Wait wait, your Inna wants to talk with you"  "I don't want to" I concluded and cut the call. I don't want to hear her voice, it might just bring all the bad memories back.

       The only good memories of the village I have are the ones I shared with my parents when I was little and the one from my school, the NYSC Teacher, he's probably married with a kid by now, he was a really nice soft person.