*ARCHIVED* Chapter 13: The Memories of the Lost

I feel her embrace me but not a thing is clear right now. My mother is somehow alive after 12 years of grief and pain. Instead of embracing her I back away a mix of confusion, happiness but also seeping anger finally breaking through.

"Your alive." I say.

"Yeah, I am. I'm so sorry I didn't tell you, I was in danger and I couldn't afford to bring you in it but as I see I guess I'm too late."

"Why didn't you never tell me? Send a letter to me saying you were alive?" I ask lowly.

She comes closer, cupping her hand on my cheek. "I couldn't risk it. Your father would-" I cut her off. 

"Dad? Mind telling me where he is? Cause apparently he was never there when I took my first steps or had my first graduation!" Neither were you! I cannot believe you'd leave me here to this lie! With these powers and dreams I had no one to protect me from. I had NO ONE TO LOVE ME." Light comes next to me grabbing my hand. 

"Mira stop." I ignore him pressing on.

"You left me with no one. I don't even know who I am anymore!" I don't even care to see the tears in my mothers eyes as Light brings me out into the hallway in frustration. 

"What do you think your doing?" He looks at me anger radiating off of him. 

"What are you talking about?"

"That's your mother! You should be the least bit happy she is alive!" He protests.

"Yeah, she should have thought about that before she decided to disappear for sixteen years and just show up out of the blue!"

"Well if you think about it she hasn't seen you for twelve years Mira!" He blurts out in anger.

"I...uh..."

"Mira please look me in the eyes and tell me you don't want your memories back. If you don't I'll leave. If you want them, I'll give them to you. You'd know I risk it. For you." All I want is my memories back. I need to get them while I can.

I look into"What's the catch?"

"You go back and apologize."

"Fine. How's this gonna work?"

"Just close your eyes and when I tell you to, open them." "Ok." I close my eyes waiting for anything. Light grabs my hand. 

Open your eyes. I open them and see a woman in an elegant dress writing at a desk in an ancient room. If you let go of my hand the memories will stop. Okay? Light says in my head like a faint whisper. I nod and pay attention.

Who is she? I ask.

That's your mother Mira.

My mother? She doesn't look like my mother.

That's because she was regenerated.

Regenerated?

Every Elemental gets regenerated. No one can remember their regeneration but we know it happens when we pass.

What year was this?

Years ago, back in 1776.

I look around to see wooden walls and a tiny cupboard filled with who knows what. I'm so distracted by everything else that I fail notice two guards barge in with crossbows in hand, dressed in the outfit of Britain's Royal Guards. Only difference is they don't have that huge hat on them. One carries a slender arrow, and I can immediately identity it's a Shatterer. I watch silently and shockingly as the empty handed guard grabs my regenerated mother an the weaponed guard make small talk with her. He comes closer caressing the arrow against her skin. I shift uncomfortably as he toys with her trying to pry information from her. I flinch when he thrusts the knife into her stomach. She sinks to the ground and I begin to feel sick.

I let go of Light's hand unknowingly and start to cry. "You let go. It's ok now. She's still here. You're still here." I let go of him and run into the room straight for my mom. 

"I'm so sorry. I love you mom. I didn't mean to hurt you." I hug her and cry in her arms. "It's okay Mira. I understand." Malyia looks at us. "Stephanie, the prophecy." 

"Where's Lilly?"

I look down. "She's gone mom. The Cursed took her."

"The Cursed are back...great." She says with a sigh.

"We have to come up with a plan. To find her." Light says, walking in.

"Wait. Doesn't this all sound weird to to you?" Malyia interrupts. "How so?" Mom asks. "Well, Light just saw this. This is obviously a trap. The Cursed can't just take Lilly. They have to have a liable reason. She's not Elemental, she's just one with the Sight. Maybe Lilly is in on there plan."

"No way! Lilly would never do that!" I protest.

"Do you really know Lilly, Mira? Because lately she's been very suspicious. First she brings you here, and then gets controlled. After that she's out of sight. Now the Cursed have her."

"So. Lets say she is with them and down with their plan. What would happen?" I inquire. I know for a fact that Lilly would ever betray me in such a way.

"There's a chance she could be working for them. She could have been planning this from the start." Malyia explains, pacing around in thought.

"Why don't we play the part. We pretend nothings wrong and see if she's really bad."

"That's the problem. Only two of us can go." Light and I catch eyes  almost immediately.

"Leave it us." I gesture to me and Light. "We can go investigate and find out whats really going on." Maylia and my mother nod in agreement. My mother comes up to me hugging me tightly.

"Be careful darling."