*ARCHIVED* Chapter 16: Playing The Part

"Oh my God..." I put a hand over my mouth in shock. Lillian Black is holding Light within her grasp. How she did that is beyond my understanding. How did she get here? 

My mind thinks back to what Maylia did back when we got taken.

"This is her? Lilly?" Azekel says scoffing. I nudge him, and he sees the concern displayed on my face, stopping from anymore smart remarks.

"In the flesh." She replies coldly. 

"Look, uh...Lilly. W-why are you doing this?" My voice cracks and I pinch myself to make sure this is real. 

"Why would I answer that question? You wouldn't understand the answer anyways." She looks away from and stares at Azekel. She's ready to speak when I daringly cut her off.

"Why did you tell me about this place if you were going to betray me?"

She stares me down coldly. I feel my throat close up and I'm clawing at my neck for air. I try choke out words but they become a series of huffs and puffs. Azekel's eyes widen in shock as he looks at me then Lilly. "Stop! Stop whatever you're doing to her!" Light yells in anger. Still holding my neck I feel the sudden urge of darkness trying to claw its monsters towards me. My knees start to buckle and I collapse to the floor. At the same moment, Light wrenches himself from Lilly's grasp and Azekel charges at Lilly.

Then, Lilly just disappears. Like she was never there. 

My breath comes back me like a whirlwind of air. I cough up nothing, as Azekel hits the floor and Light rushes to my aid. "Are you ok?" He puts a hand under my chin, lifting my head up to look at him. I nod and he sticks out a hand; I use it to lift myself up and tears form in my eyes. Confusion and betrayal fill my heart as Light pulls me in for a hug.

How could all this have happened in what...a few days? It took me years to grow that bond with Lilly and it only took a span of a few days to have that bond get washed right down the drain. Something in my heart tells me this isn't real, this isn't my cup of tea...I should run away and forget this. 

The other side of me is compelling me to stay, as if it seems that if I do stay, there's more in store...that there will be more truth I need to know. I wrap my arms around Light tightly sobbing deeply. I don't know how long it is before I let go and sit in one of the seats trying to contemplate my staying or leaving this...I don't know what's the right choice anymore.

~.~

"You told me she wouldn't be any trouble." I hear the distant voice of Azekel come from inside the pilot's room. I move to a closer seat so I can hear better.

"And she won't be. Look, it isn't her fault that her life is spinning in circles right now. So just please, give me a shot dude. We need to hurry and bring her to Diovannia. After that you can go back to the airport."

"Thank you. I've helped you enough, but this-" He stops speaking for a moment. Sighing he speaks again. "You're just about this lucky I have no other choice to stay. For my sister." The door starts to open and I bolt up. But not fast enough as Azekel stops abruptly at the sight of me. 

"Weren't you over there?" He points to one of the seats. I stand up fully, turning around to face him. 

"I got bored so I decided to play musical chairs with myself." 

He cocks his head to one side, studying me. Whatever he was going to say is merely replaced with a "In five minutes. We are landing." I nod and watch as he walks back inside, Light coming my way. 

Kneeling, he looks at me longingly. "Are you ok?"

A small laugh escapes me. "You've asked me that already. I'm fine. I'm just...trying to find a normal way to take this all in." He seems the least bit relieved. Staying quiet he continues to look at me, making me shift in my seat a little. 

"I think," I say; he snaps out of whatever trance he's in. "I should be asking you what's wrong." 

He shakes his head. "I'm just thinking...you really don't remember me? Like not even a glimpse?"

I shake my head, and he casts his head down. "Sorry." I say lowly. My phone starts to buzz and see an unknown number pop up. 

Swiping to answer, I ask, "Who's this?" 

"Mira, sweetie?" I'm greeted by my mother's voice. 

"How did you-"

"That's not important. I just want to make sure your ok? Are you almost to Diovannia?" I spot a hint of worry displayed on her voice. 

"Um, yes. Just a few minutes. Uh...is everything ok..."

"Yes, darling just...checking up on you to make sure nothing bad has-" A buzzing sound fills my ears as I no longer am able to hear my mother. 

"Are you still there? M-mom?"