Gwaine (Again)

"Arthur!" Morgana cried, shooting into an upright position. She ran a hand through her long, wavy and slightly messy hair. "No, no, no, no, no!" Wrapping a robe around her nightdress, she walked quickly to the doors of her chambers and opened it.

"My lady?" the knight that was guarding her door asked.

"Get me Merlin."

"Lady Morgana?"

"Now."

"Yes, my lady." The knight bowed and ran to complete his task. 

Morgana paced her room, guilt building up in her stomach and tears threatening to fall. She clasped her hands together in worry. Suddenly, there was a knock at the door, causing Morgana, who had been lost in her thoughts, to jump. Merlin poked her head into the room. "Morgana?"

Morgana grabbed Merlin and pulled her inside, shutting the door behind her. "Oh, Merlin. Something terrible has happened!"

"What is it?"

"This old woman gave me a bracelet after I helped her in the market and she told me that it would bring good fortune to the wearer, but it was much too big for me, so I never wore it!"

Merlin was confused. "I don't see how this is an issue."

"I gave it to Arthur to wear on his quest because I knew that it would be dangerous and he could use all the fortune he could get!"

"That's good isn't i-"

"No! I had a vision, Merlin! The woman lied to me! Arthur's going to die and it's all my fault!" Morgana burst into tears, covering her face with her hands. Merlin immediately wrapped her arms around her friend to try and give whatever comfort she possibly could.

"What does the bracelet do, Morgana?"

"It takes away the strength of the wearer," Morgana said in between sobs. "Arthur will not be able to complete his quest unless the bracelet is removed. Oh, Merlin. I didn't know, I didn't-"

"Shh, it will be okay, Morgana. I will find Arthur and retrieve the bracelet. I promise." Morgana nodded, not trusting herself to speak. "Arthur will be alright."

"Thank you," Morgana whispered.

"It's my duty."

-

The first thing Merlin did was... well, get dressed. She was wearing her night dress and that simply would not do. A pair of trousers, a blue shirt, red neckerchief and jacket was much more sufficient. She was going on a rescue mission, after all, and dresses tend to get in the way.

The second thing Merlin did was wake Gaius to tell him what she was doing so that he would not worry. That is to say, the old man would worry either way, but at least he would know what she was doing. Merlin decided that that was a mistake after Gaius made her promise that she would not go alone. 

Merlin knew just the person to accompany her, and if she was right, he was on the way to her destination anyways.

-

Merlin tied her horse to a pole and walked into a tavern. This was the third Mercian tavern that she tried and she really hoped that he would be there. Sure enough, there he was, being slammed across the bar. "Hello, Gwaine," Merlin said, walking towards him.

"Ah, Merlin!" he said, visibly brightening. "How are you!"

"Give me my money!" The man who had shoved Gwaine snarled.

Merlin and Gwaine exchanged a look and then ran out of the tavern and into the town. Merlin glanced behind her to see the man and two of his buddies chasing after them. "Run!" she exclaimed.