Mordred (Again)

Merlin and Arthur, along with some men dressed in rags, sat tied up in the snow while the man who captured them, who's name was Ragnor, and his group of men, including Mordred, sat around a fire.

"Maybe we should feed them," Mordred suggested, nodding his head towards Merlin and the ragged men.

"What for? Morgause wants slaves, not hogs," Ragnor replied.

"Slow the pace then."

"The quicker we get there, the quicker I get my money."

Rolling his eyes, Mordred grabbed something off of his plate and walked over to Merlin and Arthur. He offered her two half loaves of bread. "Here," he said quietly. 

"Thank you." Merlin took them and gave one to Arthur. "What are you doing here?"

"It's a long story. But believe me when I say I don't enjoy capturing these men and forcing them to be slaves. I'd leave, but I need the money."

"Why didn't you come to Camelot?"

"I'm a druid, whether I practice magic or not. It would be too dangerous."

"When we get out of here... Come with us, Mordred. Please?"

Mordred nodded. "Yeah... I'd like that."

"Do you know what Morgause is looking for in Ismere?" Arthur asked.

"The Diamair. In the language of my people, it means 'the key.'"

"The key to what?"

"The key to all knowledge."

-

The next morning, they resumed walking towards Ismere. It was then that Merlin and Arthur hatched the plan that they had created the night before. First, Arthur pretended to pass out.

"Stop!" Merlin cried, feigning alarm.

They stopped and Ragnor made his way over to Arthur and Merlin.

"He needs water," Merlin begged.

"Get up!" Ragnor growled, forcing Arthur to stand. "Not so much of a great warrior now, are you." Ragnor laughed and then went back to his horse in the front of the group.

Arthur winked at Merlin and subtly showed her the dagger that he had stolen from Ragnor's belt. He began cutting the binds off of his wrists.

Once Arthur was free, Merlin pulled the rope that kept all of Ragnor and his men's things in the cart. This time, Ragnor did not bother to get off of his horse. He rode over to them. "Who did this? Who?!"

"We need to rest," Merlin said.

"Right. You can rest then. Forever!" Ragnor jumped off of his horse and pulled out a sword. Before he could strike Merlin, Arthur punched him with the hilt of the dagger he had stolen. Ragnor fell to the ground. Then Arthur threw the dagger at one of the men and Merlin used magic to frighten the horse of another.

Arthur grabbed Excalibur and a crossbow off of the cart and they ran. They stopped running in front of a large crack in the ground that stretched for as far as they could see and as wide as at least Arthur's height. Arthur threw the sword and crossbow to the other side and started backing up. Merlin immediately knew what he was planning to do. "You've got to be joking."

"Do you have a better solution?" Arthur ran to the edge and then jumped. He made it to the other side, but just barely.

"I don't know about this..." 

The men who had captured them earlier were getting close to where they were.

"We haven't got all day, Merlin!"