Interlude - The Knights of the Round Table Talk About Girls

They had been official knights for a little over three months before Arthur decided that it was finally time to take them out on a patrol. This was their first ever patrol and it was extremely boring. Everything was in just the way it was supposed to be for once. They rode in silence.

Lancelot stared off into space, lost in thought. He had the slightest hint of a smile on his face. Gwaine rode up next to Lancelot and gently nudged him. "Lancelot, my friend! What are you thinking?"

Lancelot blinked as he was jerked back into reality. "Oh, nothing..."

Gwaine and Elyan exchanged a look. "Could it be... a girl?" Elyan asked, riding up on the other side of Lancelot.

The tips of Lancelot's ears turned a light pink and he leaned over to stroke his horse's hair, looking anywhere but the other knights. "Uh-"

Gwaine grinned. "It is a girl! Tell us about her!"

By then, the rest of the Round Table Knights were paying attention to the conversation, each curious about what Lancelot was going to say. "I'd really rather not," Lancelot told them.

"Tell you what," Elyan decided. "You tell us about her and then we'll talk about the girls that we love."

Lancelot sighed in defeat, knowing that there was no way out of this once. "Well... She's perfect. I don't know what else to say. She's beautiful, kind and incredibly brave. She's the love of my life."

"Who is this girl that's captured your heart?"

"I'm not saying."

"If you won't say who she is, then we won't say the names of the women we love," Gwaine said.

"That's fine," Lancelot replied stubbornly.

"If you love her so much," Leon interrupted, "how come you have not asked her to marry you?"

"It's complicated." Lancelot stared off into the distance. "There's another man that's in love with her... and I don't want to force her to choose." Leon gave Lancelot a knowing look.

"That's very noble of you," Arthur commented.

"How about you, Gwaine? Since you started this conversation, why don't you go next," Lancelot said.

"Much like your girl, mine's is beautiful beyond compare!" Gwaine said, waving his hands around wildly as he spoke. "She may be a commoner, but to me, she's a princess!"

"She must be quite the woman if she can tolerate you," Percival joked.

"I know!" Gwaine said, completely serious. "Elyan, your turn."

"Why me!" Elyan protested.

"Because I said so."

"Fine," Elyan huffed. "I haven't known her for very long, but she's incredibly selfless and she's wicked with a dagger. And very beautiful, of course. Leon?"

Leon blushed. "Compassionate, charismatic... She's wonderful. And extremely loyal."

"Much like you, eh?"

"Uh, well, I suppose? I-I love her. A lot. And would never let any harm come to her. But... like Lancelot, there's another man in the picture and I think it's best for me to watch from the sidelines."

"What a shame," Gwaine said.

"What did she think when we believed you to be dead?" Arthur asked curiously.

"She was a mess," Leon admitted. "But she's alright now. Percival? How about you?"

Percival looked down. "I just met her recently, but she's brave and beautiful. I'd do anything for her."

"Percy has a crush!" Gwaine teased. "Well Arthur, looks like you're last. What fair maiden has captured the heart of the Crown Prince?"

Arthur, who rode at the front of the group, stuck his head up obstinately and peered forward, not meeting anyone's eyes. "No one as of yet."

The knights all exchanged a look. Arthur was a terrible liar. The only reason his lies ever worked on Uther is because Uther was dreadfully gullible. "Come on, Arthur. Tell us about her. You're obviously thinking about someone," Gwaine insisted.

Arthur huffed, knowing that there was no way out. "It's a forbidden love," he admitted. "It probably will never work out, so there's no point in even trying." That shut everyone up. Unfortunately for Arthur, the silence that followed became so unbearable that he had to say something. "She... She always puts others above herself. She's thoughtful and caring and beautiful and I can never get her out of my head."

Both Lancelot and Leon looked away, knowing exactly who Arthur was speaking of. Percival glanced at Lancelot with concern. Elyan gave a triumphant and appreciative whistle. And Gwaine said, "Sounds like someone is absolutely smitten."

"Whatever," Arthur said, slightly flushed. "Our shift is nearly over. We should start heading back. And not a word of this to anyone. Do you understand."

"Yes, Sire," all five men replied in unison. 

Sorry this took a while. Let me know what you think!