Sword in the Stone (2/2)

Arthur and Merlin ran through the woods. The Southrons were close behind them. They approached a cave of tunnels. "You keep going," Merlin said. "I'll cover our tracks."

"Merlin-"

"Arthur you can barely walk as it is. I'll catch up with you. I promise."

"Be careful."

"I will." Once Arthur was far enough out of earshot, she looked towards the sky and called for Kilgharrah. Then she ran after Arthur. 

Behind her, she could hear Kilgharrah's roars as he swooped down near the Southrons and Agravaine's shout of "Take cover!"

"Did you lose them?" Arthur asked when she reached him.

"It's safe."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Fine. Which way now?"

Merlin looked around uncertainly. "Er-"

"I thought you said you grew up in these tunnels!" Arthur said exasperatedly.

"I did! It's just, it could be that way..." Merlin pointed to the tunnel on the right.

"Or it could be that way." Arthur nodded towards the other tunnel.

"Yes."

"That's very reassuring."

They picked a tunnel and walked in silence for a while. They stopped walking when they heard movement behind them. "I thought you said we'd lost them."

"I thought I had."

"It won't take long for them to catch us..."

"I'll go back."

"Merlin, it's too dangerous."

"What choice do we have? Besides, I know these tunnels and Agravaine doesn't. You keep going."

"Merlin..."

"I'll be fine, Arthur."

"Just... Don't do anything stupid."

"No promises."

Merlin ran back the way they had come. Arthur watched as she disappeared into the dark, praying that she would be alright.

Merlin peeked around a corner to see Agravaine and his men walking towards her. She stepped out and faced them. "Oh! Hello!" The men began running towards her. Merlin led them to a dead end.

"Merlin!" Agravaine shouted. "Where's Arthur."

Merlin shook her head, refusing to answer. Her back was pressed against the wall. Agravaine and his men believed that they had cornered her. "Be careful," she warned.

"What are you talking about? Where's Arthur?"

Merlin shifted her weight between her feet and looked at the men sadly. She didn't really want to hurt them. They were just doing what they were told. Well, except for Agravaine. She really did want to hurt him.

"Tell me. Now. Or I'll have to kill you."

Merlin shook her head again. "I don't think so."

Agravaine made a move to grab her, but was thrown back by an invisible force, along with the rest of his men. Gasping in pain, he sat up from where he had landed. "You... You have magic!"

"I was born with it."

Agravaine's eyes widened in realization. "So it's you." He pointed at her. "You're Emrys."