All of Them

Things were not looking up. They were out of water, out of food, and Morgause's men were everywhere. Arthur had long since given up hope. 

"You cannot defeat an immortal army," Arthur told her when she tried to persuade him that things would be better soon.

"We won't know until we try," was her response.

With Arthur being despondent, Merlin took it upon herself to give orders. She fell into the role of leader easily. "We need to act before Morgana gets any stronger. I sent word to Lancelot days ago, but there's been no response. He's likely moved on by now."

"Give it time," Gaius told her.

"We don't have time. We need to act now."

"We know, Merlin," Elyan spoke up. "But how?"

"There's been an immortal army before. How was it defeated then?"

"The Cup had to be emptied of the blood it contained," Gaius explained. "Once that happened, the enchantment no longer held."

"Then that's what we have to do."

"They're immortal," Gwaine said. "We can't defeat a solider, never mind an army."

"We have to try."

-

Had anyone been awake, they would have seen Merlin frantically searching for something in her bag. Finally, she pulled out the flask that had been gifted to her by the Fisher King. "When all is lost, it will show me the way," she murmured. "But how?"

Merlin stared at the vial. She tried a number of different spells, but it was no use. It wasn't long before she fell asleep, clutching the vial to her chest. Not far behind her, Gwaine stumbled to his feet, causing Merlin to flinch awake. "Sorry," he apologized. "Nature calls."

Merlin sat up in alarm. She dropped the vial. It was broken. Merlin watched as the shimmering water pooled together. It began glowing and the image of a young man appeared.

"Frey?" Merlin whispered, tears threatening to fall.

"I've missed you." Frey's voice was just as soothing and gentle as she remembered.

"You're..."

"Merlin, we don't have long."

"Is it really you?"

Frey nodded. "I swore that one day I would repay you. Now is the moment."

"I don't understand."

"There is but one weapon that can something which is already dead."

"A blade forged in the dragon's breath."

"That weapon lays at the bottom of the Lake of Avalon, where you hid it."

"But Morgause's army is very much alive."

"Anyone who toys with the cup pays a terrible price. The moment they entered the pact with Morgause, they became the living dead. Merlin, you must come to the lake."

"And you will give me the sword?"

"In your hands it has the power to save Albion."

"Thank you."

"No. It's given me the chance to see you again," Frey smiled.

Merlin jumped at the sound of Gwaine returning. "You alright?" Gwaine asked. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"I'm fine," Merlin told him. "Really." She turned back to the puddle, but Frey was gone. She knew what she had to do.

Merlin walked as quietly as she could out of the cave and into the Forrest. Once she was far enough away from the cave, she called for Kilgharrah. It did not take long for the overgrown lizard to land gracefully in front of her.  Kilgharrah looked down at the Dragon-Lordess, waiting for her to ask her questions or make her demands as per usual.