Get Your Tissues Ready

They both turned to Merlin, who was curled up in a ball against the wall. "No," Lancelot whispered. Both he and Arthur ran over to Merlin. She was as cold as ice, not unlike when she fainted at the Samhain feast. The carried her over to the fire and wrapped her in as many blankets as they could find. Luckily, she was still alive.

As the sun rose, Arthur, Leon and Lancelot came up with a plan. They had to continue with the quest, but Lancelot would ride through the Valley of the Fallen Kings in order to get Merlin to Gaius. Arthur had wanted to put the whole quest on hold to take Merlin back to Camelot, but Lancelot and Leon insisted that they continue. All of Camelot was counting on them.

Percival, being the strongest, was the one to carry her to the horses. He draped her onto her horse, since she had no strength to sit up, and Arthur fastened her to it. "This is my fault," Arthur told her, "and I am sorry."

"Take me with you, please," Merlin said weakly. 

"You would die, Merlin."

"But you don't understand. Please, Arthur." A single tear ran down her left cheek.

"Do you ever do as you're told?"

"I have to come with you."

"Merlin-"

"We need to leave," Lancelot interrupted.

"Go," Arthur ordered. He watched worriedly as they left. Tears shone in his eyes.

Merlin and Lancelot rode as fast as Merlin could handle, nonstop until they reached a stream a few hours later. Lancelot lifted a semi-conscious Merlin off of her horse and laid her down by the stream. Then he wrapped her in his cloak. He reached down to take some water, but paused when he saw Merlin move her hand into the water. When the water touched her fingertips, it began to glimmer slightly. Lancelot lifted Merlin's hand out of the water and studied it.

"Lancelot," a voice whispered. Droplets of water began to rise from the stream, each with a little face in them. "Lancelot. We bear you no harm. We wish only to help."

"What are you?"

"We are Vilia, spirits of brooks and streams. The tear in the veil has upset the balance of the world. Good spirits as well as bad roam freely. But this perilous state cannot continue for long."

"Prince Arthur rides for the Isle of the Blessed. He intends to heal the veil."

"He will need help. From both of you."

"My... friend is sick. I need to get her to Camelot."

"Emrys is stronger than you give her credit for. The young witch has great power and a future that has been written since the dawn of time. Do not worry. Even now, my sisters begin to heal her."

Lancelot glanced at Merlin. The Vilia's magic caused her skin to shimmer as it healed her.

"You are tired. You must rest."

"I need to find shelter."

"You are safe here."

"The Dorocha-"

"We will stay with you, and protect you through the night," the Vilia insisted.

Lancelot smiled in awe as the droplets around him became a protective barrier of light.

-

When Lancleot woke up, Merlin was gone. "Merlin. Merlin!"

"Shh!" 

Lancelot turned around to see Merlin balancing between two rocks, holding two fish on a string in one hand and a staff in the other. She watched the water for a fish to swim by, stabbed at it... and missed. She shrugged. Two would be enough. Merlin held up the fish. "Breakfast!" She hopped off of the rock and walked towards Lancelot.