Interlude - The Knights of the Round Table Are Jealous... of Each Other

It started out as a really beautiful morning. The sun was shining brightly, birds were chirping, and everyone was in an all around great mood. Everything was absolutely perfect for Merlin's birthday. All of her friends, especially the knights, wanted to make her twenty-first birthday as amazing as possible.

And then the killing started.

Well, not really. But if they had worked together instead of against each other, the day would likely have ended much differently.

Before he died, on any special occasion, Lancelot would bring Merlin a small bouquet of flowers from just outside the city walls. Merlin would enchant them to last a little bit longer and put them in a vase on the side of her bed. That is why after she woke up, the first thing Merlin did was pick flowers and lay them on the small memorial they had for Lancelot.

As she walked through the town, Elyan jogged up to her. "Good morning, Merlin."

"'Morning, Elyan."

"I wanted to give this to you." Elyan held out a thin, wooden, black box. "Happy birthday."

"Oh, Elyan, you didn't have to..."

"I wanted to. Here, take it."

Merlin took the box and slid the top of. She gasped. "Elyan, it's beautiful!" Inside the box rested a silver dagger with a golden hilt that was encrusted with diamonds.

"I hoped you would like it. I made it myself."

Just then, the morning bells rang. "Oh, I've got to get to Arthur. Thank you, Elyan!"  Merlin gave him a quick peck on the cheek and ran off towards the castle, clutching the box to her chest.

Merlin dropped off the dagger at her room and then grabbed Arthur's breakfast. She got to his chambers, only to find that he was already awake and dressed. Arthur leaned against his window, gazing at something between his fingers.

(It was a ring, but Merlin did not know that at the time.)

"Oh... You're awake."

Arthur quickly slipped whatever it was that he was holding into his pocket. "And you're late."

"Only by a little bit," Merlin pouted.

Arthur gave an exaggerated sigh. "I suppose I can let it go this time." Then he smiled a bit mischievously. "Happy birthday, Merlin."

"Thank you, A- What are you doing?!" Arthur had picked Merlin up, bridal style, in the middle of her sentence and began walking out the door. "Let go of me, you prat!"

Because Merlin was squirming so much, Arthur readjusted her so that she was slung over his shoulder. "Stop moving around so much, Merlin."

Merlin pounded her fists against his back. "Why can't you just tell me where we're going and I can just walk?"

"Because that's no fun."

"You're butt's in my face."

"You like it?"

Merlin's face turned red. "What kind of question is that?"

"I'm just wondering."

Merlin muttered something under her breath that sounded suspiciously like "Dollophead. Eventually, she gave up trying. Merlin rested her elbows against Arthur's back and let him carry her, trusting that he would not take her anywhere bad.

Gwaine turned the corner onto the hallway that Arthur was carrying Merlin just behind them. He raised his eyebrow at the sight of Merlin. Gwaine speed walked over to where they were. "What's going on?"