Monsters

Just as Merlin finished tidying up Arthur's room, there was a knock at the door. Merlin opened the door to find Gwen and Morgana there, with a middle aged woman standing between them.

"Hello, Merlin," Morgana smiled. "May we speak with Arthur?"

Merlin looked over at Arthur, who was sitting at his desk. He stood up and nodded for them to come in. Merlin opened the door and let them in. 

"Sire, if I may speak with you for a moment?" Gwen asked.

"Of course."

Gwen and Arthur moved to the side of the room so that she could brief Arthur on what was going on. Merlin led the woman and Morgana to sit at Arthur's table. Merlin sat down across from them. After a few moments, Arthur and Gwen joined them at the table. Arthur sat at the head of the table, between Merlin and Morgana. Gwen sat next to the woman and took her hand.

"Guinevere informs me that you live in Longstead, in the Feorre Mountains," Arthur said. "Is that right?"

"That's right, Sire... Our village- we're blighted by a sickness. Three good men it has taken now. We have no physician, Sire. It is beyond our understanding."

"I see."

"Forgive me. I have no right to bring such a small matter before the king."

"You have every right," Arthur assured her. "It is my responsibility to protect the people of this kingdom, whoever they may be."

"You'll help us?"

"I'll do whatever I can."

"Thank you," she whispered. 

-

"This is the first case of sweating sickness I've seen today," Gaius told Arthur and Merlin. "In normal circumstances, I'd be happy to travel to this village to investigate, but-"

"Of course," Arthur interrupted. "I understand."

"Might I make a suggestion, Sire?"

"Please."

"Why not send Merlin in my place?"

Merlin's head shot up at the suggestion. "What?"

"Merlin?" Arthur asked at the same time.

"She has a knowledge of the healing arts. If the diagnosis is straight forward, she can prescribe a remedy, I'm sure."

"And what if it isn't?"

"Then she can bring her findings to me."

"Do you think you can handle it, Merlin?"

"I-"

"She can," Gaius answered for her. 

-

And that is how Merlin found herself riding through the forest with Gwen, the woman, whose name was Mary, Gwaine, Leon, Mordred, and Percival, with Gaius's medicine bag strapped to her horse, on the way to Mary's village. They arrived just before sundown.

After they had dismounted their horses, Mary ran over to a man and gave him a hug. Gwen walked over to them. "John!" Gwen exclaimed. "It's good to see you. We came as quickly as we could."

"Word cannot express our gratitude, Gwen," the man, John, told her. He looked around. "Where's Gaius?"

"I'm sorry," Merlin said, walking towards them. "He was needed in Camelot, but I will help in any way that I can."

"We're living in fear for our lives," John said quietly to Gwen, not intending for Merlin to hear, although she did anyway. "We need a skilled physician, not a girl."