🏐 NINETEEN 🏐

"You won't believe this, but Yusei Udai in class 7 is actually putting in effort for his work!"

"Are we talking about the same Yusei Udai?"

"I honestly don't know, I swear someone stole his body because he's so much more focused now."

"Well maybe his parents got into him about his studies? I'm sure his atrocious attitude hasn't changed."

"Oh it has, he hasn't disrespected me since they got back from nationals."

"Something must have happened."

"It's not just Udai, all of the volleyball boys have been extremely focused. It's kind of scary if you think about it."

"Well, I hope that this is a good change for them as well as us. It's certainly looking that way."

"Bet, they all make the top marks for their grade."

"You know we shouldn't be making bets like that!"

"1072 yen."

"Deal."

"You guys!!!"

~•~

"You guys already know that if you get below a forty, you won't be able to come to practices because you'll have supplementary lessons. Make sure you do your best," Kanai told his team as they were seated around him in a crescent.

"For now we are going to shorten practices so it will give you more time to study. Now let's get started. Udai, their all yours."

"Thanks coach." She nodded, standing up with everyone else. "Two laps around campus, once everyone gets back we're going into the weight room."

"Yes sir!" The team chanted.

Anyone else would be confused as to why the captain wasn't leading the team, unless they knew the actual structure of the Anaguma team.

"So, I hear you've been getting confessed to a lot more recently," Nishioka smirked at Yusei as they ran together, making the female groan.

"Don't even get me started! I don't know what brought it on but it feels like half the female population is into me." She grumbled in annoyance.

"What's so bad about that? Aren't you bi? I've seen you looking at some girl's ass." He wiggled his eyebrows. Yusei looked generally confused and disgusted.

"When have I ever looked at a girl's ass? And no, I'm perfectly straight thank you very much."

"Have any guys confessed?" Akagi joined them, being one of the faster boys so it wasn't hard to catch up to the two.

"A few, never seen em before though so I turned them down." Yusei shrugged.

"Didn't you tell Kisekio-san that you're gay?" Nishioka snickered, making her roll her eyes.

"Well if we're going with outward appearance then yes I am, in fact, gay. If we're going with born gender then I'm straight."

"Eh whatever, doesn't really matter to me since I'm not planning on confessing to my king any time soon, or ever." Akagi said, and the three laughed as they finished their laps.

After everyone else had also finished, they headed into the weight room. "You're pretty weak for an ace, Yusei-kun." Kataoka said as Yusei was benching.

"Yeah well, all my flash is in my legs." She gritted out as she did her last rep, lifting the bar back up and setting it on the rack before sitting up.

"No kidding! No one else can even get close to how much you can do!" Miyake commented as he spotted Akagi.

"200 including the bar is pretty good, but I'm hoping to get to 240 so I can lift 200 excluding the bar." Yusei muttered, making Kataoka snort.

"We all believe in you demon king."

"And I believe in all of you." The ace replied.

"Alright finish up your reps, we still have to do some actual volleyball training too ya know." Kanai poked his head into the room.

"Yes coach!"

Quickly finishing up, they were allowed a water break before they finished practice off with some servers verses receivers.

"Thanks Yusei!" Sadow smiled as he took a meat bun, her only nodding in response.

"We're chillin at my house tonight, right?" Akagi confirmed, and Nishioka agreed so the Anaguma volleyball team headed out.

They spent the night studying, since the weekend was the next day Nishi made everyone go to sleep at a reasonable hour, and they agreed knowing they'd have more than enough time to study and they had each other.

The weekend was spent entirely at Akagi's house, every waking second studying, eating, drinking, and the like. The material was drilled into their heads, and the first years got a taste of what was to come in their future.

When Monday finally came and the tests began, the Anaguma boys volleyball team was ready.

Because it was finals week, Kanai gave them off time so that they wouldn't stress over it. Little did he know, they had still gone to the gym and messed around, playing queens and just having fun to relieve their motionless day sitting in a chair spilling their brains onto a piece of paper.

"Thank you all for your hard work these past few days, the results will be posted shortly." The principal announced.

"Oh man I'm so nervous!" Kataoka complained as the team sat together in the cafeteria.

"You probably did fine, it's all over anyway so there's nothing to say." Yusei told him, so he nodded.

"Thanks Yusei-kun, I needed that."

"Can you believe we're almost done with this year? Now we can spend every waking second in the gym!" Miyake said excitedly, and a few people joined him.

"So we're planning to live in the gym now?" Nishioka asked as he came over, having gotten the results for them all to see.

"Gimme!" Akagi ripped the paper out of his hand, his eyes darting around the paper. "This is the first years!"

"Yeah, you didn't let me explain that, dumbass." The captain sighed, handing him the second year scores. "Congrats everybody."

"Holy..." Their eyes all widened as they read their names.

First years:
1. Yusei Udai
2. Akinari Miyake
3. Yasahiro Kataoka
4. Bassui Sadow
5. Chikashi Sanada

Second Years:
1. Saburo Akagi
3. Yoshi Nishioka
4. Eryu Ozaki
6. Masakazu Yakoya

"Way to go guys! We all got in the top ten!"

"Man! Almost the top five!" Yakoya scowled, so Ozaki slapped his back.

"Cheer up bro! It's still a score colleges look at so just do better next time!"

"Yeah, you're right. I'll make the top spot next time! Akagi look out!"

"Huh?! Oh, ha! You're on!"

~•~

"So..."

"You won the bet, that's for sure."

"That I did. I'd like my money now please."

"Ugh, fine."

"Hehehehehehe glad you boys didn't let me down."

"Never underestimating them again."

"Yeah, I don't think anyone ever will."