FORTY-THREE

[them]

THEY were all quiet. nobody knew how to respond to that.

"i killed jungkook's father."

namjoon hung his head down low. heads turned towards him, but no words were spoken.

"he was forced to kill my father." a bitter laugh escaped jungkook, "he had no choice."

a faint smile spread across jungkook's face. his eyes met namjoon's.

"i would have done the same. if i were in the same situation as him."

the atmosphere went silent again.

jimin broke the tension, "i was abused by my foster parents-"

"-and i" haru paused, "i killed them."

each one of them had their own story, their own secret to share. a secret buried deep in their skin.

"i used my hacking skills to rob people," taehyung chuckled as he drove the car.

"taehyung!" his father called, "come help me harvest the crops."

taehyung groaned. he shut his computer down and trotted towards the fields. he harvested crop by crop in the sweltering heat. after all, they were farmers.

they earned just enough money to make ends meet. a farmer's life was dependent on their crops.

"taehyungie." his mother placed a plate on the table, "please bear with us. this is all we have."

"eomma. appa. aren't you going to eat as well?"

his parents averted their eyes. they rose from the table.

"taehyung. please eat." his father sighed, "we'll eat later."

taehyung had already lost his appetite. he watched as his parents slipped behind the door, towards their room. taehyung snuck behind, pressing his ear towards the door.

"there has been no rain for weeks." his mother shook her head, "our crops are dying."

"it's a drought. how are we going to make ends meet?"

taehyung's father embraced his mother, "we'll find a way to make it through the season."

"eomma!" taehyung screamed in joy, "i got a job!"

his mother ruffled taehyung's hair. a wide smile crossed her.

"that's good taehyung. what is it?"