二十

after three years...

i grunted as i transferred boxes from one place to another.

today is ciara's 8th birthday and we are having a surprise party to celebrate her special day.

"you got the cake?" i asked taehyung as i carried the box full of party hats.

"yeah, is ciara still asleep?" he answered, giving me a kiss before setting the cake on the table.

"yep. let's hurry before she wakes up."

and we spent the entire morning, trying to make sure that she will enjoy her birthday. it was a little bit tiring but hey, anything for the people you love right? i looked at the clock. 9 am.

"hey babe?" i called out for taehyung.

"yeah?"

"the guests will be here any minute soon. i'll go ahead and get ciara ready."

"okay!" he said from the kitchen. he's probably decorating the cake or making simple appetizers that requires mediocre cooking skills and would probably still taste great even without putting in a lot of effort.

i went upstairs and entered ciara's room. she was still asleep, even cutely snoring. i just decided to sit by her side and let her sleep more for a couple of minutes.

i let out a breath, smiling at her. finally, we were happy. ciara was happy.

"i'm sorry it took so long for me to accept what you wanted. you deserve the world and i promise to love and protect you even when i die."

i fished my phone out my pocket and saw text messages from the guests that they'll be arriving soon. i scrolled down and a name caught my eye.

cha eunwoo.

i quickly opened his message and saw his response.

from: eunwoo
to: y/n

hey, good morning. i just wanted to let you know that i'll be coming to ciara's birthday. the plane landed 2 hours ago and i'm just preparing myself for the party. i'll make sure to be there on time.

and please, DON'T EAT THE CAKE WITHOUT ME :')

end of message.

i softly laughed at his response. we rarely talked but i knew deep inside that we were still close friends.

i felt the bed move and saw that ciara has woken up.

"happy birthday, my baby." i greeted her with a kiss.

"thanks, mommy."

"now, let's get up and prepare for the day ahead of us. your father and i have a lot of surprises for you!"

and by hearing the word 'surprises', ciara quickly got out of her bed and went into the shower. i made sure that i didn't let her get a peek of anything that has been going downstairs.

it took ciara an hour to get ready, which seems like a long time but it was understandable. after all, she wanted to look like a princess on her special day.

she wore a pink dress and white sneakers. i braided her hair and she even asked me if she can put some lipgloss on and i just let her. it's her day, she can do whatever she wants.

when we exited her room, i heard music and small chatters coming from downstairs. i dusted my clothes and looked at my daughter.

"you excited?"