Blueberry Pancakes

"Do you think it will hurt?" Bonnie asked, not directly looking at me or Damon.

"I don't kn-" Damon was cut off as we were swept to God knows where.

A couple of months later

I wake up to the sound of Damon and Bonnie bickering.

Nothing new.

We have only been here a couple of months, but it's been feeling like years. We just figured out that we have been repeating the same day over and over.

Which is wonderful.

I got up and got dressed in the only clothes that were available here. I head down the stairs and towards the kitchen.

"Good morning, Christmas." Damon says as I walk into the kitchen.

"I thought we talked about this, Damon," I say, clearly annoyed. "I don't like it when you call me Christmas. Either call me Noelle or Elle. That's all I'm accepting."

People often thought my name was unusual considering my cousin, Bonnie, had such a normal name. I would always say I had the weirder mom, but they still considered my name a nuisance for some reason. They thought my mom was making fun of Christmas.

If I'm completely honest, she probably was.

"Are you still doing that crossword?" I ask Bonnie as I sit down in front of her.

"Oh, I haven't even looked at it yet." She replies. Damon sets down our pancakes in front of us.

"Yay! Pancakes!" I sarcastically say.

"Yay! A moody teenager!" Damon exclaims.

"Hey! I'm 19, almost 20..." I pout.

"Oh, yeah, your birthday is coming up. I'm sorry we have to spend it here." Damon says sullenly.

"It's fine, Damon." I mumble.

We look over and see Bonnie with her eyes wide. My eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"Bonnie...?" I ask slowly as I shake her hand.

"It's completed." She whispers.

"What's completed?" Damon asks.

"The puzzle. It's completed. Yesterday, I still had a word left, but it's all done." She shakes her head in disbelief.

"Did one of you fill it in?"  She asks. Me and Damon look at each other and shake our heads.

"Look, Bon," I say. "I don't know what's going on but you probably just forgot about filling it in. Let's just forget about it. We have to go to the store anyway."

She shakes her head again. I know she's mentally telling herself that she didn't fill it in. We all finish eating and put our dishes in the sink. We go outside and get in the car. On the way there, I can still sense that Bonnie is uneasy.

"So, Bonnie, has your magic been working yet?" I ask. She sighs and turns around to look at me.

"No. I don't know why. Has yours?" She looks at me hoping for a yes. I shake my head.

"I don't know why but I've been feeling weaker. I feel fine when I go to bed, but when I wake up, I feel as if someone took the magic away from my body." I explain.

"That's happened to me a few nights, but it stopped a little while ago," She states. She turns back around. "Maybe it's just us being here."

I nod in agreement.

When we arrive at the store, I check the list for things we need.

"Okay, we need milk, eggs, cheese, cereal, and I want to see if they have salt and vinegar chips." I say.

"They always do." Damon laughs. We walk up to the automatic doors when we hear a noise.

We turn around. The machine carousel has gone off. Bonnie gives me a worried look.

"I'm sure it's nothing." Damon says.

"How are you so sure? You can't be." Bonnie says.

"You need to calm down, Bon Bon." Damon reassures.

"I will once you stop being an ass." She says, turning around and walking out the doors.

"You really should stop pushing her over like that." I say. Damon shrugs his shoulders.

"We always make up, Christmas." He smiles. I roll my eyes.

At this point, we've gotten almost everything on the list except for the chips. I walk up to where they usually are and grab a bag.

"Wait a minute- these are pork rinds," I tell Damon. "The salt and vinegar chips are always right here, why would there be something different?"

"This is giving me a bad feeling, let's go find Bonnie." Damon says. I nod.

As we're walking out Damon stops and puts his finger to his mouth.

"Do you hear that?" He whispers. I listen and hear soft crunching. We turn around and walk down the alcohol aisle. We see a figure sitting in a chair. The figure looks at us.

"Who is that?" I ask Damon.

"I don't know..." He replies.

When we get closer we see a man who looks like he's in his 20's. He's eating- you guessed it- pork rinds. He looks up at us and continues to pop pork rinds in his mouth.

"Rough day, huh, Damon?" He asks. "Sorry, manners, I'm Kai."

"Nice to meet you," He holds the pork rind bag out. "Pork rind?"

He wavers the bag around. Me and Damon both look at him confused as he stuffs pork rinds in his mouth, his chewing getting louder.

"That is gonna have to stop." Damon says, clearly irritated.

"Oh, you think this is annoying? Try listening to you, Bonnie, and Elle bicker every 5 minutes." He rolls his eyes.

"So, you've been following us?" Damon asks.

"Of course I have. You three are the closest thing I have to a TV. You're no Baywatch, but- remember Baywatch?" Kai asks.

"No, I do not." Damon replies, and I can hear his annoyed tone.

"Oh, man, you got to watch it. You like lifeguards, like, hot ones?" Kai asks, raising his eyebrows.

"This has been a monumentally bad day in a sea of bad days, so I'm gonna need to know who you are, what you're doing here, and how it relates to me, or I'm going to rip your throat out." Damon threatens.

"Your temper's going to get you in trouble, Damon," Kai says with a fake sadness on his face. "It's already driven Bonnie and Elle over here away how many times? Oh! Oh! Oh, wait, I know. Thirteen." He smiles.

"You think my temper's bad with them? I like them. You? Not so much." Damon replies before speeding over to Kai and grabbing his collar, lifting him up off the ground.

I've hardly said anything because I don't know what there could be for me to possibly say.

"Okay, okay. Sorry, seriously. I'm just rusty on the face-to-face type human interactions." Kai says, and I can't tell whether he's scared of Damon or not.

Damon drops him on the ground.

"Answers. Now." Damon states as he walks over to the bottles of alcohol on the shelves near us.

"Maybe, you should have a drink. That usually calms you down." Kai offers, waving his hand towards the alcohol.

"Thanks." Damon says in reply.

"I'm really just trying to be nice." Kai says towards me. I give him a meek smile. He turns back towards Damon.

"It makes you angry, then sad, then calm again. It's a weird cycle," He says with a confused look on his face, referring to Damon's alcohol addiction.

"And look, if you really want to know why I'm following you... it's because I want to kill you."